Clicking noise from laptop running on Ubuntu

Motorazor143

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 256Kbps Unlimited combo
Hi all,I have been using Ubuntu from last 2 weeks or so..have been noticing a clicking noise from my laptop every 10 secs or so.Initially I thought it was something related to my laptop, but the noise was not there when i was running windows..after googling i figured out that it's a Bug with Ubuntu which was discovered a year back and hasn't been fixed yet by Ubuntu folks😡...The sounds comes from the hard disks and has to do with something called hardisk parking:S..anyhow now am scared that this will shorten the life of my hard disk.:huh😀oes anyone here experiance the same problem with Ubuntu??anyhow i can't wait till Ubuntu developers fix this problem..Can anyone name a better alternative to Ubuntu..I mean a distribution which has good community support and Should use Gnome and has good hardware support.:thumbsup😛lease don't name Opensuse..I had tuff time with it..don't wanna try it again.:wall:thanks.

mandriva 2009 is great. i say you should try out kde 4. or if you still want gnome, try mandriva 2009 gnome edition. its pretty good too.try out linux mint or fedora 9 too if you like.

well, even i wanted to try Linux mint..but it's based on Ubuntu..so this problem will most likely persist on mint too.I have tried Mandriva before..for some strange reason it's not working properly on my laptop..mouse getting stuck at times and all.yeah should give fedora9 a try..i think Debian is not a bad choice either.

awww shucks i thot they had fixed the issue for intrepid... doesnt affect me tho

Well for the last 8 months I have not heard any such sounds from my system!!!

well, i managed to temporarily solve that issue by running some kind of command..anyhow it's really sad that Ubuntu didn't fix such a major bug.

I did not experience this with 8.10. I remember it happened with 7.10.@motorazorYou should try Fedora 10 when it comes out. I agree fedora is not as easy to use as Ubuntu, and takes a little time initially to get going (codecs n stuff..adding extra repos), but believe me once set up, its rock solid. "For me" Ubuntu never felt that solid somehow.

Well for the last 8 months I have not heard any such sounds from my system!!!

this is mostly for laptop hard drives, that too some brands/models... and sometimes you need to keep your ear close to the thing to hear it if its happening or not... 😀

ubuntu doing fine on inspiron 1520 here. i think. i did not notice any specific sound coming from the hdd.

It depends on the manufacturer of HDD of your lappy..thats what i came to know after hovering around Ubuntu forums..Dell uses HDD from various manufacturers.Mine is from WDC..anyhow this problem was reported long back but still not fixed..people are also claiming that it's hardware manufacturer's fault:S..Some firmware updates to HDD solves this issue to an extent.anyways why to bother about all such hassles of Firmware updates, so decided to Jump to Debian.🙂

I do remember reading somewhere long time ago that WD hdd's do not play nice with Ubuntu power management
Random Synapses Blog Archive Fixing Western Digital Scorpio clicking noise

I also found many more results on the net similar to the one above. The above problem was in general with WD hdd's , which was fixed by a firmware update but the problem persisted with linux even after the update!!

Thats why when I replaced my 80GB laptop HDD for a bigger one (320GB:dance🙂 , I chose Hitachi , and its been working good with Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.10 .

yesterday downloaded Debian..initial experiance not that great..Coudn't get the GUI installer to work..anyhow managed to install it..but it doesn't recognize my screen resolution of 1280 x 800.didn't detect Ethernet card, wifi also..need to find a way to get these things to work.