Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,225
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Is there any hope for new plans from Cherrinet(Chennai)? Cherrinet new plans were good, when they launched 2 months back. But, after Hathway 1000GB stuffs and Airtel's latest stunts, it doesn't look too great. It seems Airtel plans are pretty good(excluding the speed factor), if you take the additional 1000GB/year and free calls compared to what Cherrinet Offers. Since, 40Mbps ll do fine for me, I'm planning to switch to Airtel, any inputs ll be appreciated. BTW, My monthly limit wont exceed more than 160-175GB. Thanks!
@trammat Same as I mentioned in OP. You get 1 month free for the 6 months pack or 2 months free for 12 Months. If you're think about getting it better go for the 6 months one.

Thanks manojrk!! Somehow, I missed to read to that part in OP. Thank you others too for pitching in..

QmVEXdo.jpg

A promo by VK Digital for its chennai customers.. Connection is feasible for all VK digital set top box holders, it seems. So, another new player with another disrupting plan. I hope Cherrinet(SCV) watches out Hathway and VK Digital. Not sure, what gonna happen in chennai at this rate 😀 Good for consumers though.

P.S: Please move to relevant thread, if possible.

What's up with such large amount of GBs? Not everyone is going to use their 1500 GB quota completely every month and the same applies if they have chosen to offer unlimited instead.

Ya.. That's right.. Download interest will fade in a month or two with high data cap. Atleast, it forces all other major players to improve the data quota..

@trammat that 1000 gb works in only 512 Kbps speeds
No, it isn't, that data can be used after your FUP is finished, but, you get your pre FUP speed. It is 1000GB valid for one year, you can finish it in one go or use a certain amount, the rest gets carried forward.

What's up with such large amount of GBs? Not everyone is going to use their 1500 GB quota completely every month and the same applies if they have chosen to offer unlimited instead.

Finishing off such large amounts of data isn't really hard for somone who doesn't have regular TV service, cord cutters as the Americans call them and use services like netflix, especially if they do 4K all the time. This limit also helps control people who use BT a lot, it doesn't take long to upload a LOT at 150Mb speeds. With unlimited then they will have to impose a secret limit that will leave people who treat it as pure unlimited unhappy. Though data is cheap, it still does cost the ISP, especially, if you are a reseller, not a mainstream ISP with their own links.

Last edited:
^ True. A significant portion of my monthly allowance goes to streaming (Netflix and Prime Video). The bandwidth usage would be more or less the same if they chose to offer unlimited (Say like 20 or 30 Mbps) since they are already offering 1500 GB @ 150 Mbps, many would try to finish up what they have paid for and BT usage can be met with caching popular stuff.

I'm just tired of worrying about FUP when I'm already paying a premium. I just wanted to experience a truly unlimited broadband after half a decade of dealing with smartbytes and 512 Kbps 😀

Yeah, I have to quite literally "think before I download" all the time with just 220GB to play with. I don't use Netflix or Amazon Prime at all, that makes it easier to manage. But, like you said, I would rather not have to worry or regret getting something that was not worth it.

Not sure, what gonna happen in chennai at this rate 😀 Good for consumers though.

Cherri won't take any initiative, they will wait for ACT to change their plans and then better it by 25-50 gigs and call it a day 🙂

^ Ya. That was the case earlier. But, I dont think it will be the case from now. Hathway is starting to push aggressively in many parts of chennai with 1000gb plan. If VK Digital too succeeds in its push, then maybe cherri(ACT too) got to respond to stabilize its's market share. I just hope VK doesnt end up like TIC fiber with localized business.. Good days are right ahead...

They have always matched it and sometimes bettered it whenever ACT upgrades its plans. This time though they clubbed upload and download together so I'm not sure how Cherri and Airtel are going to react 😀

Cherri seems to be on expansion drive in TN tier 2 cities, wish ACT broadcasts this new plan aggressively so it gets through their thick skull :angel:

They are not offering the Chennai/Trichy tariff in South TN. Slightly expensive as well but definitely a step in right direction. Fiber is the future 🙂