Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,048
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the bandwidth is very cheap if you could afford buying it in bulk. ACT and other Fiber ISP's can provide truly unlimited internet if they are willing to kill GB top ups but that constitutes a significant part of their revenue. There are a few ISP's offering truly unlimited in other markets where ACT is available but they are either small or insignificant so ACT doesn't bother to match their plans. TCCL is making use of its already deployed Fiber backbone that carries TV channels so we can expect a good competition if TCCL plays its cards right.

Yeah its not that expensive to provide. Excitel gives 20 mbps without any FUP for 799 including taxes in Delhi and Hyderabad

My LCO just dropped the bomb on me. He moving from TCCL to SCV lol. I guess Cherrinet is from SCV?

He also said he will be offering broadband independent from SCV. Let's see how it will turn out.

Cherrinet is testing 1Gbps
Source

guess ACT will soon follow suit, the next big USP for Indian internet companies is going to be 1Gbps speed.

That is amazing.

But...

What's the point of 1 Gbps if the data allowance is going to be 100 or 200GB and 512 Kbps post FUP. I mean they already charge 11 times more than Hathway for a terabyte of data.

them revamping FUP is given since TIC is launching with those awesome plans, this 1 gbps is their card to stay ahead of TIC competition or any small players already in the market. April 14 is the day for internet for Chennai in more than one way :angel:

Yeah I hope they price it just right. I don't think it's possible for ACT to provide a gigabit plan anytime soon because they use one ONT for seven or eight connections, predominantly. Cherrinet providing individual ONT to each user with Fiber cable terminating at the premises is having the edge.

They seemed to have matched ACT's data but with much better speeds. It's 100 Mbps for the ₹999, 200 Mbps for ₹1499, 250 Mbps for top tier plans. It is evident that wholesale bandwidth prices has crashed. We could expect them to offer 1 Gbps with 1TB FUP for ₹5999, same as ACT in the near future.

Edit: The image posted by trammat -
KpGukD.jpeg

CS and the website too is yet to be updated with these new plans.

Last edited:
plans which costs less the Rs 6/GB are Basic and Silver.

It is evident that wholesale bandwidth prices has crashed

no wonder white elephant BSNL is giving 10Gb/Day for Rs 249

We could expect them to offer 1 Gbps with 1TB FUP for ₹5999, same as ACT in the near future.

guessing their new Platinum plan should be close to 800 gigs so for ₹5999 they can easily better ACT offer.
hopefully Cherri will offer multiple plans for 1Gbps connection.

Website is updated with new plans. Platinum is ₹5000 with 700 GB @ 250 Mbps. Still more expensive than TIC Fiber. My LCO has once again switched to VK Digital and he is going to offer broadband over GPON. Tata and Airtel backend. Yet to see any plans but he assured truly unlimited plans will be available. I'm going to continue my Diamond plan for one month. Will switch to my LCO if the plans are anyway near to TIC's offering.

I will update the post with 250 Mbps speedtest results once I reach home.