Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,015
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there was an outage indeed. Internet was randomly disconnecting but appears to be stable now. Website is down for me too.

Outage was for more than 5 hrs from afternoon. I was able to reach them via Facebook as their phones were down.

Does anyone else here facing latency spike after restoration? Mine is jumping from 1ms to 200ms all the time so voip calls are terrible. Given my past interaction with their "server engineers" I don't think they will bother with a fix. I've already applied for Airtel FTTH. Can't wait to jump ship!

I am having severe download speed issues with Cherri from 10am to around midnight on any server outside chennai.

Customer care idiots say local cherrinet server shows full 200mbps so it’s not our problem. Download speed is 5mbps while upload reaches 200 on most servers outside chennai

Anyone else facing issues on intl servers?
A22-D2-FA7-EBCD-4-DC5-9-E70-0-A4-FEBA780-A6.png

^ I too faced similar issue and I had to almost cancel my line to get it fixed. Problem is with their Airtel + Tata load balancing setup. Cherri is not short of bandwidth because I still get full speeds to Intl servers after they had changed my setup to Airtel only. It could be intentional throttling but they have more than enough upstream bandwidth so I guess they simply don't have the relevant expertise to use it efficiently.

You could try complaining again, ask for their server engineer to contact you. If that doesn't work out then only option is to cancel it for good.

7713470611.png

7713476306.png

Last edited:
Cherrinet's downward spiral begins.
Tata routing as usual rubbish. Although this could just be Cherrinet not buying enough bandwidth from Tata.

LrQWDOY.png

Weird, traffic to flipkart's servers are passing through Nixi chennai. 218.100.48.141 is Tata's Chennai, Nixi point of presence. Cherri could possibly fix it by forcing the traffic to go through main transit rather than using the publicly peered route.

Cherrinet service has become worst. Minimum 6 to 12 hrs disconnection on every Sunday. Their internet speeds have also become very bad. It was not the case last year.

wnQdLe2.png

Service went from great to shit last few months. I too face random disconnections and what annoys me the most is latency spike. Cherri CC reps lols at my request and closes it without even contacting me. I am done and I have cancelled my connection.

Went with hathway's 150 Mbps 1000GB @ 799 + GST. So far so good. Getting full speeds everywhere.

8297633403.png

8297652712.png

8297642719.png

8297648236.png

Planning to go for their 300 Mbps + Mesh Wi-fi from next bill cycle if everything goes well.

Not really. Hathway runs over Airtel backend at my place, same as Cherri. Guess that could change after they migrate to Jio in few months.