Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,144
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess they didn't run the numbers before going 'unlimited' 😏

"I hope Jio changes things around "

doubt they can better current players on data/price but if they launch it with 'Jio TV' as a IPTV service,
could be a massive game changer and will force DTH to price correct.

Guess Jio fiber launch is pretty close, Cherri is already preparing the ground
to retain customer by offering additional months on their long term plans.
Had renewed for 3 months and got a month free.

Yep. That's a sweet deal. Airtel is also quietly deploying ftth for individual customers and they are revamping their outdated plans as well. New plans should be out in a couple of weeks.

^yep,Airtel is replacing the dubba boxes in street with ones with massive battery backups.
My neighbour recently had it installed, looks quite a rig. He gets paid 5k a month.

Keep me posted on their plans.

They have expanded to 3 more in South TN Tier 2/3 places 👍

I see this thread has 33 pages. Don't have much patience. I'd like to know what's wrong with Tata routing. Lately, Cherrinet seems to have expanded to cities close to where I live. I wanted to get it for my business needs. I don't do gaming. So, I don't mind about high ping times. But, a stable internet is mandatory for me. As long as, it doesn't disconnect or change IP often, it's fine for me.

May I know what's wrong with Tata routing?

worst ISP in chennai, very low speeds in International servers and when you raise a complaint they ask to check in Cherrinet own server in speedtest , and will show you 90+mbps speed thats it, if you argue they will say other servers speed they won't check.

Worst and illiterate customer support and fooling customers in terms of highspeed plans.

I faced the same problem a while ago and I had to file mutiple complaints to get my routing fixed. You could try the same and If it doesn't work out then moving on to competition is the only way out. If they pull the same shit again I am going to cancel it once and for all. Airtel is pretty solid IMO if you don't mid their Ad injection shenanigans.

@manojrk actually they are giving me some bullshit excuses that international speed should be like this , I mean 2/3 max 10mbps , due to hops and servers..

I explained them but still they are adamant on it... they are not ready to accept the fact , they are saying only local server you will get 90mbps or good speeds other international servers you will get around 10-16mbps which is more than fine :/

asking me to provide them screenshot of another provider in chennai with international server speed as whole chennai has same speed.. as per as they are saying...

can someone from chennai provide me speedtest screenshot of USA, NY, singapore speedtest to show them in the face..

They exactly know what you're talking about but still they seem very reluctant to make any routing changes. I have complained like a dozen times and all of them are resolved within few hours except routing change requests. They're hell bent to not change a route for unknown reasons.