Cheap NAS solution

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 3,430
Any suggestions for budget NAS in 2023? Main usage is to back up photos, with RAID-1 setup. This is to have a redundant copy to address disk failures.

if you have any old pc you can use that and add drives there. what i found is that larger size hard drives (>2TB) prices are ridiculous in India.

i would suggest importing, even with shipping and customs it would end up cheaper for 20TB drives. make sure to import extra cold spares just in case of a drive failure.

Last edited:
I want to operate the NSA 24/7. Old x86 PC draw a lot of power which i am not comfortable using. Any solution which has a low idle power draw and decent performance for backup? i am not looking at high I/O or editing large files out of NAS.
Only need is RAID-1 and low power draw.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 3070 Tiny (i5-9100T) 24/7 and from what I've read, the idle draw is around 15-20w. Mine is running Ubuntu with around 10-12 containers. I did disable ASPM in BIOS as it was causing it's network to go down frequently and required a reboot to get it back online.

I can check the exact idle draw on mine with a Smart Plug but haven't bothered till now.

How many drives, or what is the max storage option, are you looking for?

Building a cheap AM4 is also a good option.

Even if you go for something new, in the long term your old x86 albeit at a slightly higher power draw will always be cheaper. (If cost of procurement and build is included)

Max power draw difference with new will not be greater than 20-30Watts.

I am using an old thinkpad has a NAS, works out fine
I have syncthing to sync all photos from various phones in my family.