Cheap NAS solution

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 3,424
Yes there are many guides online on using RPi as a NAS.

Yes, obviously. I am basically asking if people over here are using a solution like that.

From what I have gathered, I can get a Raspberry Pi 4, an HD/SSD, install OpenMediaVault and put it in a case.

My questions are:

1. Will this work properly over a 100 Mbps connection?

2. Is this a reliable setup? I mean, can I rely on it and store important data? If not, do I need to manually create backups of the files?

3. Can we add a layer of security by backing up the data on cloud storage? (Automate backups on cloud?).

4. What would be the overall cost?

Last edited:
1. Pi 4 has a gigabit port and enough RAM so bottleneck would be your drive.
this a reliable setup?
Not if you don't know your system because you're responsible for maintaining it.
I mean, can I rely on it and store important data?
If it's important, have backup. There's an old saying if it wasn't backed up then it wasn't important.
If not, do I need to manually create backups of the files?
Automate it.
3. Yes? IDK what did you mean by that.
4. Cheapest Pi configuration + HDD + Power Supply, Heatsink, case for at least HDD, etc will cost you pretty much the same as WD My Cloud Home. I guess you could replace Pi with a cheaper board.

Yes but the wd my cloud is shit in terms that you can't access the cloud partition of the drive if you don't have internet. Read this on a forum somewhere.

If you're only looking to saturate 100Mbps you can do that Pi Zero too, even without a powered hub (everything on a 5V at 1.4A power supply).
I do have a Hitachi/HGST Travelstar Z5K500 with setup it works fine but requires some work to save enough power. Instead get a not-single core board, a powered hub, and 1G RAM and you should be fine.

I am also looking for something similar. I have 3 4TB WD HDD which I would like to use as NAS. Any suggestion on HDD case?

Source

A lot of people have made tutorials on how to go about this. I'm in the process of making a list of parts required and the cost. I think to begin with a 1 TB drive should be enough in my case. But finding a case to accomodate everything would be crucial.

@Nishant Would you like to chip in? 🤔

Do all of us a favor, and share the guide about all components we need, including a case to house everything?

Huh? Entire kit except Raspberry Pi is $99