Chappell resigns as Indian cricket coach

• Thread starter Thread starter umang_mehta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3,867

umang_mehta

Greg Chappell on Wednesday resigned as the coach of the Indian cricket team in the wake of its disastrous campaign in the World Cup.
Ending weeks of speculation, Chappell e-mailed his resignation letter to BCCI President Sharad Pawar citing "family and personal reasons" for not seeking an extension of his contract.
BCCIs' Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty confirmed that Chappell had sent in his resignation to President Sharad Pawar.
Chappell, who was contracted till the end of the World Cup, was with the Indian team for close to 22 months during which he was involved in a number of controversies.
The former Australian captain 's resignation came barely two days before the BCCI's Working Committee meeting to review India's World Cup debacle and decide the future course of action.
In his e-mail to the top Board functionaries, Chappell said that coaching India was the most challenging job in sports and he tried to meet the challenges in a professional way.
Chappell, who took over the reins from New Zealander John Wright in June 2005, also thanked the players with whom he worked and wished the team success in the future.
The Australian great had reportedly questioned the attitude of senior players of the team during the World Cup which led to widespread speculation of a growing rift in the team.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1857900.cms

what if he is right? what if senior/junior players did do/say something? we will defend ourselves only. believe our players!

Greg Chappell on Wednesday resigned as the coach of the Indian cricket team[/b]
About time....

Most other cricket coaches across the globe keep mum & go about their job silently and give glory to the team, with themselves being hardly even visible.

The problem is, he always wanted to be SEEN to be doing things, thru media publicity. Right from the day he was confirmed to be the new coach & he went to the newspapers rightaway with his thoughts about what is affecting Indian cricket & how he proposed to solve it.
That smacks of a "playing to the gallery" attitude.

What about he message ?..ie what he said to the press..was it justified ?I mean there has to be something wrong if India did not even qualify for the playoffs.As a non-follower of the game, i'm getting the impression that too many ppl tried to but in and did not let him do his job. Well if he can't do his job, then follows that it isn't going to work out for anybody.It feels that there was no "team" in Team India to start with, does not matter who the coach is in this case does it.In anycase all will be revealed on Apr 6.

Good Riddance!I may be in the minority here but I think it's a fxxxing insult to our own ex-cricketers when we hire some gora to coach our team. I seriously hope the next coach is an Indian. Our country has been playing cricket for decades now and we have enough home-grown coaching talent to not have to look elsewhere! My vote goes to Kapil Paaji!Oh! And I'm pretty certain he was made to leave! "Family and personal reasons" 🙄 Why are these bastards so incapable of ever saying it like it is?

it would be fun to read the controversial book he would be writing and releasing ina couple of months. i am sure the book deal would fetch him a couple of million dollars.

he could never have made the same amount of money coaching india.

Our country has been playing cricket for decades now and we have enough home-grown coaching talent to not have to look elsewhere![/b]

dude the problem with that is that a local coach would in fact be partial and would prefer the players from his region. this is how the board works and this is how the selectors work.

i had say... hire a couple of retired judges, pay them a good salary. and get them to select a team for india. 😀

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Apr 5 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]86241[/snapback]
dude the problem with that is that a local coach would in fact be partial and would prefer the players from his region. this is how the board works and this is how the selectors work.[/b]
If that's true, i wonder why it isn't a problem for England, Australia or NZ. I'm sure they would be partial to someone coming from their own county or province.

Or are the state & language boundaries in India, so well defined, as to almost mean country.

Kapil paji is my choice.....but he is backing sunny gavaskar.Chappell is gone and good riddance !!.I don't like people who creates diversity in a national team.He said he didn't want senior players in the team in which he named Yuvi ....from wat angle is Yuvi a senior player.Even junior players didn't like him.Just like our school Headmaster ...we as seniors hated him and juniors were too afraid to speak in front of him 😛Ok then may be he will say he doesn't like Ricky Pointing ,Gilly ,Symonds in the Australian team.

Its good tht chappell resigned.... Now sachin, saurav, rahul, bhajji, viru must follow the same path... They have served for too long now... they r past their best... let some young blood show their talent.. And selectors must provide these youngsters with as many as chances as these so called seniors of indian team... Chappell wasnt a good coach at all.. but our senior players sucked more than him...

nothing is going to change. absolutely nothing.they want to limit the number of ads a player do. it's undemocratic and would be opposed by the senior players. there would be lawsuits and more lawsuits. ;d

I never really understood the hoi polloi about the ads, how long does it take to make an ad ?..a few days maybe.After that they play it incessantly, player gets his money, deal done.So what. If cricket happens to be the only sport, that this country can get by decently with (or has done so in the recent past), what is the problem ?How does ads ads negatively affect things, oh it might piss off the more junior players that have yet to prove themselves but other than that....for a sport that this country is so rabid about, i would have thought there would be far more posts in this thread, but i guess most ppl's idea of sports here is what you do with a game console 😛

umm. most ad contracts would have appearance clauses. and as we have read in reports, they even end up pressurizing senior players to favor certain younger players. 😀it was almost hinted that dravid supported sehwag due to some common sponsors. just a rumor. 😀

Even some ad contract had some clauses like "you get paid more for longer the duration u bat irrespective of how much runs u score".This is what BCCI opposed.
But nothing is going to change ..its true..total system he kharab hayi

heh. it was long rumored that sachin liked to bat straight because mrf paid him more to show the logo on his bat as much as he could. 😀