Changing the DSL Modem

• Thread starter Thread starter drumster
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 2,227

drumster

ISP
MTNL Triband
I have a Huawei Modem (Smart AX MT 882) which was supplied by MTNL (mumbai) about 3-4 years ago when I got my triband connection. I am thinking of replacing this with better modem which I can buy on my own (Maybe a integrated DSL + Wifi modem). Does anyone have any idea whats the procedure for this? Does MTNL allow this?

You can get a modem+wifi router ar Lamington Rd. Yes you can use yoour own modem/router. To return the modem you will have to take the unit+power supply+LAN wire with a written application (2 copies) 🙂 (signed by the person in who's name the phone is in ) stating that you will be buying your own. When I last checked at Prabhadevi exchange it was something like this, you will have to take the unit to their store where they will acknowledge the return of h/w then you will have to submit that stamped copy to another person who will be responsible for entering the details against your tel no., so you will not be billed for it. But its best to cheek the procedure at your local exchange. But make sure your copy is acknowledged by both dept's.
BTW Why do you want to return it, if you are on a UL plan then you are not being billed rent for it. Btu it makes sense if you intend to stay in Limited plans.

Hey Socrates, thanks for the reply man. Well, I am on an unlimited plan, but the reason I want to surrender it is that I have the sh!tty Huawei modem and I have a seperate Wi-Fi Linksys router. I was planning of upgrading the router to Wireless-N for faster data transfer since I have a wireless NAS (Network Attached Storage) which I use for storing all my multimedia files. So I thought when I buy a new router, I will buy an integrated Modem + Router so that dont need to have both separate. But I later realised that for Wireless-N I will need a separate adapter as well. So I may drop it, but I will keep the procedure in mind. When I get a new laptop with built in Wifi-N capabilities, I will definitely give up this Huawei modem 😉