changing modem's default connection settings

• Thread starter Thread starter ravi018
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 5,798

ravi018

ISP
BSNL
I;m using ZTE ZXDSL 831AII modem in always-on mode.whenevr i power-on/restart my modem,its default connection setting is loaded with 'multiplay' as user name and some password.and if i leave it like that for some 5+ mins,it gets connected to 10.#.#.# IP.Though its connected,it can not open any websites.So each time when I've to connect to internet after starting my modem,i've to goto 192.168.1.1->connection setting and change the username and password to "my" usr name and pswd.I am very annoyed and fed up with this changing settings after each start.pls tell me how to change the default settings of modem to "my" settings instead of 'multiplay' settings?

after editing the settings, you have to go to save/reboot , or else it will back with the default setting after a switch off/on (restart)after saving the settings, you have to save/reboot ! check the settings after save & Reboot !If the problem persists, please reply back !

I had one doubt, is Modem password and bbservice.bsnl.co.in password should it be same?That is PPP Username and PPP password and bbservice.bsnl.co.in username and pwd.

no!in fact it will be much safer if you use different passwords.however you can use same passwords too for simplicity but then use a strong modem admin password so no one can enter into your modem to find out your ppp username/password.in any case portal/bbservice username is not present anywhere in modem so even if you keep the bbservice password same as ppp password & someone succeeded in knowing that he can't do anything because portal ID is not known to him.also by using portal you can change your ppp password anytime.

Then why my modem did not connect to the net, if i change the password in bbservice.bsnl.in. I ask BSNL about it, they said to me dont change any password. Just keep the password that we gave. :wall:

Then why my modem did not connect to the net, if i change the password in bbservice.bsnl.in. I ask BSNL about it, they said to me dont change any password. Just keep the password that we gave. :wall:

See, you need to use two different passwords for:

[*]bbservice.bsnl.in
[*]pppoe account
[/list]Both the passwords should be different. Don't listen to those BSNL people. Always change all your passwords frequently.

You need to select the option which says 'save and reboot'. This way your setting will be saved.

Hey it's working on my PC if we go by this method! 🙂

Don't listen to those BSNL people. Always change all your passwords frequently.

You need to select the option which says 'save and reboot'. This way your setting will be saved.

Hey it's working on my PC if we go by this method! 🙂

Hope it works for people. I had a tough time after changing my broadband password ! Didnt work for more than a week ! (even after updating) !
Changed back to 'password' and tried, still had no luck !
later, called Area Managers office and the lady took 3 days to fix it ! After that i never changed my broadband password !

If you call BSNL, you get shouting like "Who told you to change password? who are you to change settings" kind of stuffs!
and later me telling him "there is an option to change password in the website sir", he said "options may be there, we dont have any information" and kept the phone ! ( i had discussed in some thread detailed)

It was in January. Hope it might have been rectified by now ! during that time, many had suffered like this ! Now i change by portal password, but not router password(bb password)! 😀

first of all thanx for responding 🙂@appus: Well i dont see any option of save/reboot.It'd be better if u provide the navigation(path) for save/reboot option.@essebe: I've already checked that post.and it didnt help me.

foribb: CONFIGURING ZTE ZXDSL 831AII IN PPPOE MODE
Recheck your settings with screenshots given in above link.
Check carefully E/F/G/H entries. . There are two pages. for User ID log in page also.
Most of the screenshot/s posted by @onlytest in ImageShack no longer available.
can you post screenshot of your WAN page where multiplay/userID is shown ?

1. IN COMPUTER TCP/IP
Properties: select "obtain IP address automatically "

I always use that method (the 1 used in blog) to connect internet.
The changes occur in page "H" when modem is switched-on and to change it, I have to edit the connection settings through step E,F,G and then H.
--
PS: my problem is same as the last comment by Preveen on the blog.

members/ravi018/Try this.Delete in B the first entry 0_32 bridged. If still same problem, delete all other entries except 0_35