Change the behavior of the Power off shaped icon in Windows Vista!

smartbuddy_82

Regulars
ISP
MTNL
Useful for Windows Vista Users:

Change the behavior of the Power off shaped icon in Windows Vista!

SYMPTOMS

The Poweroff shaped icon in Vista Start menu is getting the system in to Sleep mode instead of shutdown.

CAUSE

This is not a bug and is by design

RESOLUTION

You can change the behavior of the power off icon, by following the steps provided below:

1. Click Start, Control Panel.
2. Click Hardware and Sound.
3. Click Power Options
4. Click "Change plan settings"
5. Click "Change advanced power settings" option.
6. Click "+" sign to expand the "Power buttons and lid options".
7. Click "+" sign to expand the "Start menu power button".
8. Select "Shutdown" option (You can see On Battery, and Plugged in options separately, if you have Vista installed on a Laptop.)
9. Click OK to save changes.

You need to make these changes for all the plans. This will let the power off icon to shutdown the PC.

Source: Change the behavior of the Power off shaped icon in Windows Vista

Enabling Telnet in Vista, by default Telnet is not enabled in Vista:
Provided by Manu1991: :thumbsup:

Click Start, Control Panel, Programs, and then Turn Windows Features on or off. In the list, scroll down and select Telnet Client. Click OK to start the installation.

Yup i was using hibernate in XP. Is there any option in vista to enable this function? in BIOS??

oh you meant outgoing ssh, right putty is best 🙂and both rdesktop and tsclient (ubuntu uses tsclient) work nicely for windows logins...@srk, right click "my computer" (or is it just computer) and see if you can enable hibernation in one of the tabs (power/performance etc) there... are you sure you are clicking the little arrow next to the power icon to get the full menu???

I had enabled "Hybrid Sleep" in the power options in control panel. Here's the Screenshot of the menu... No hibernation..

doh, i didnt know you had to enable hybrid sleep separately! i must look at it, i have home premium tho...anyways srk, hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep plus hibernation heh... if you disable hybrid sleep maybe you will get hibernation back separately...?

woo.. Thanks vishal.. .I disabled Hybrid sleep and got back the "Hibernate" option in start.. :thumbsup: