Change Downstream/Upstream rate on Airtel

• Thread starter Thread starter ts1506
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,373
ISP
PMPL
I recently took an Airtel 2Mbps down / 512kbps up connection (15GB FUP one) at my home. (Kolkata)

Line Stats shows
Downstream: 2559
Upstream: 511

While the downstream rate is fine for 2Mbps, and I get around 2.1-2.2 Mbps speed, the upstream actually means that upload speed never crosses 0.4 Mbps or so. I believe around 700ish is needed for full 512kbps bandwidth.

I am using D-Link 2730U, which airtel is giving out for free nowadays.

How can I get it increased. I have talked with the customer care, and they have absolutely no idea about this.

Also another thing, the Airtel guy who collected the documents and stuff said that they give upto 4Mbps plans in my area, but since its a "green zone", more than 2.5 mbps doesnt really come. Is this really applicable, as I would like to take a higher speed plan, but only if it actually works.

Another thing I have noticed, Airtel's smartbytes page shows FUP left, which shows me that usage is 2.5GB, but my usage calculators (both in mobile,laptop) total up to only around 2.1 GB, is this normal. And their site shows 18 days left in bill cycle, while I got the connection only 6 days ago.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Please post your full line stats so that other users can have a look at it.

They do not usually advertise their upload speeds.
They can increase it. Escalate or ask for the technical team if 512 kbps is specifically mentioned in your plan details.

Airtel usually checks your line. If your line cannot achieve a stable 4 Mbps speed, they won't give those plans to you.

Please post your full line stats so that other users can have a look at it.

Airtel usually checks your line. If your line cannot achieve a stable 4 Mbps speed, they won't give those plans to you.

No, their upload is not advertised, but I had asked the airtel guy who came to collect documents and choose plan, and he said its 512kbps on all 2Mbps plans.

Here is the detailed stats - Dropbox - Capture.PNG

The line quality might be poor so upload speeds are probably restricted to keep it stable. Higher these values the poorer the connectivity is.

Another thing I have noticed, Airtel's smartbytes page shows FUP left, which shows me that usage is 2.5GB, but my usage calculators (both in mobile,laptop) total up to only around 2.1 GB, is this normal. And their site shows 18 days left in bill cycle, while I got the connection only 6 days ago.

Yes, your usage calculators won't much up to airtel's, airtel (and even BSNL to some extent) do not count usage properly, unfortunately. Bill cycles are random and not from date of connection activation.

Line is pretty decent. You can easily get 4 mbps, based on line stats alone. It is possible that their local gateway is overloaded and hence they aren't promising 4 mbps. You'll have to test it out yourself.

The line quality might be poor so upload speeds are probably restricted to keep it stable. Higher these values the poorer the connectivity is.

Ok thanks for the info. This is the first time I am using an ADSL connection after almost 5-6 years.

Yes, your usage calculators won't much up to airtel's, airtel (and even BSNL to some extent) do not count usage properly, unfortunately. Bill cycles are random and not from date of connection activation.

Line is pretty decent. You can easily get 4 mbps, based on line stats alone. It is possible that their local gateway is overloaded and hence they aren't promising 4 mbps. You'll have to test it out yourself.

Thanks for the info. Also random bill cycle as in, does it change every month or what 😵
I might take a 4Mbps plan for one month and see how it turns out.

it keeps on changing a day or two for me i think. i guess this is because they consider the month to be 30 days.

It's fixed. Mine is from the 26th to the 25th of the next month. You can try for 4 Mbps. In fact, ask for 8 Mbps and see what they say.

It's fixed. Mine is from the 26th to the 25th of the next month. You can try for 4 Mbps. In fact, ask for 8 Mbps and see what they say.

They already said no 8Mbps or 16Mbps in my area. Max 4.

I am also keeping my local cable connection purely for big downloads, as Airtel FUP is quite low compared to pricing

Last edited:
Airtel started restricting upload speed to 512kbps in order to support 8mbps & 16mbps plans. after complaining on twitter they restored mine to 1mbps.