Certain apps (Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi(MTNL FTTH) but work over mobile internet)

• Thread starter Thread starter spaceboy13
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 11,470
ok Guys here is an update.

First of all thanks to all of you who pitched in to help out.

I had a chat with Alphion guy in Chennai and told him my problem. He was very helpful. He said that router may be need a firmware update and only MTNL can do that. Then when I mentioned about Bridged mode for using my TP-Link to do MTU settings he told that MTNL has to do bridged mode settings from its end. User cant to do it.

Just at the end of the conversation, I mentioned to him about my TP link router being used as wifi access point. He then suggested a way to use the TP link router in dynamic IP mode.

Basically the LAN port of the ONT Router will be connected to the WAN port of the TP Link ( Earlier I was connecting to LAN for use as an access point only which worked fine)

Then he asked to enable the DHCP on the TP Link router (I had tried this approach earlier but I had disabled the DHCP on the Alphion ONT thinking that two DHCP would lead to a problem of double NAT-as mentioned online at many places)

So basically my connection now is as follows:

Alphion ONT Router (DHCP Enabled-PPPOE Mode)-----from LAN Port-----TP Link Router (DHCP Enabled-WAN Port)-------Android Device (Note9/Smart TV)

I did a quick setup on the TP Link and then changed MTU settings to 1488 (found as optimum with no fragmentation)

Now all sites are working absolutely fine on both smart TV and Note 9.

NO Issues whatsover. The Alphion guy proved super helpful that too on a holiday!!!

Hey,sorry but why did you even insert the Ethernet cable from ONT to router in LAN port instead of WAN port.
Yupp...It would have worked but the WAN port is specifically designated due to some reason which have profound effect on user experience.
So,please keep that in mind.

@kick I guess a bit too much overdose of youtube videos which said that I needed to use my second as an access point. I completely ignored the possibility of using the WAN port and only made some hit and trial attempts with it in an incorrect way.

Still lots to learn I guess..

@spaceboy13 Well, I would say using the LAN port on the TP-Link and avoiding an additional NAT layer was an excellent choice. 👏 To be honest, the way it is now, there is one more NAT layer being introduced, and I would recommend getting bridge mode set up when possible so that the TP-Link does the PPPoE auth and the Alphion remains as a dumb modem.

@Kick933 Recommending multiple devices to be daisy-chained by default adding multiple NAT layers is not really ideal. 😉 The configuration should be made keeping in mind the whole network setup.

@varkey Yeah will try for the bridged mode. But maybe after sometime. Right now getting to speak to mtnl customer means a 20 min wait time and there is still no realtime addressal to the issue. So far I am happy that all websites/ apps are working fine.

But your absolutely right about the Double NAT. I tried to configure ddns service on the TP-Link. It didn't work. Maybe some port forwarding is need in the Alphion router. There is Also the open source VPN that I managed to configure on the tplink router but really dont know what to do with it.🤔

After 3 days of banging my head, watching youtube videos and posting on forums, I'll be happy to take a router break for some time😆😆

@varkey
I agree that double NAT is not an ideal scenario.I wish to propose that I have seen teardown of few routers and the WAN port is often seen to have relatively better connection with the chipset and relatively better cooling as it serve the very main purpose for most of the users.
It is not clearly visible but some designs by Qualcomm also mentioned the same in their white paper that WAN port is preferred for out of system route where you may have multiple connections amongst another benefit.
BTW,It is an additional duty for normal users to get rid of second NAT.So,for general scenario,I totally agree with you on this😉

To be honest you are no different than Jio fiber, excitel or even ACT users. We also are under double nat.
So Mtnl is good in atleast providing public ip4 address.

Well, I would say using the LAN port on the TP-Link and avoiding an additional NAT layer was an excellent choice.
Ideally it should be connected via wan port. whether as router or access point.

Last edited: