• Thread starter Thread starter blr_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,771

blr_p

Regulars
ISP
Airtel 256k ultd
10 DVD-R's or 45GB If you need that much data, a quick way seems to get a friend with better broadband abroad to post a pack of DVD-Rs by mail. If they allow you ssh access you can do all the getting you want or use thier box as a dump. Lets say the package is labeled as software CDs (technically zero duty to import), Would the post office wallah start cribbing about his cut...sorry i mean import duty ?They would have to be sent registered as i have no hope of ever getting such a pack in the ordinary mail, would just get swiped.Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this route ?

i think courier wud be the best ..lil bit costly but cd/dvd hve less chance of getting broken 😛

Originally posted by NeXgeN@May 28 2005, 01:01 AM
i think courier wud be the best ..lil bit costly but cd/dvd hve less chance of getting broken 😛
[snapback]10369[/snapback]
[/quote]
I get around this using bubblewrap envelopes.

yeah...couriers could be Quite costly especially if they are coming from abroad.

I feel fairly confident they will arrive in india fine, it's what happens betwen the post office and my home that scares me 🙂

Does anyone know the charge of sending a single CD in a cushioned envelope to any place in india ?Registered Post/Parcel/Courier ?

Yup, I've had experience in this matter. If you want data sent by mail, get it by dvd only. CD's are lame compared to the cost of cd-r's and store so much less data.
Assuming you are getting the data from the us, a good option is usps priority mail small envelope.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/intl_speed.asp?CID=...unds=2&Ounces=0

max weight is 2 pounds(1kg) and its flat rate 5 $. For packages upto 4 pounds, priority mail big envelope(9 $) is good. Just remember, send books, documents(non-critical) and optical media(dvd's, cd-r's) through priority. It is cheap and delivery is max 6-7 days(even faster than global express mail-speed post).

You can get stuff by registered mail but I don't like this option because an ordinary envelope will cost 1-2 $ but adding registered mail status to that will add 7.5 $ to it. And it takes 12 days min to reach from the us. Registered mail is good as long as your envelope weight is below 100gms. After that, your registered mail costs rise exponentially and reach parity with global express mail at 1 pound. And express mail has the advantage that you get a tracking number and 100 $ insurance is provided free.

As for customs duty, don't worry about it at all. dvd's cannot be charged duty as long as you declare that it has data in it.

I've had experience of getting some 30 packages in the past 2 years by all sorts of mail(ordinary, speedpost, priority, registered) and with the customs dept too.

Hope this helps out.

I hope I had asked the rate for India !!!

yes, this a good option... someone with good broadband living nearby (singapore, hongkong, bangladesh etc) can mail you CDs/DVDs... but then you lose the coolness factor of downloading it yourself heheps: the bangladesh part was a joke, get it? ha!

Originally posted by bugatti@May 30 2005, 09:17 PM
As for customs duty, don't worry about it at all. dvd's cannot be charged duty as long as you declare that it has data in it.

I've had experience of getting some 30 packages in the past 2 years by all sorts of mail(ordinary, speedpost, priority, registered) and with the customs dept too.

Hope this helps out.
[snapback]10568[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the informative post. It's interesting as long as the DVD is "used" the customs here, dont think its for resale ..lol...hence no duty.

I was looking into getting some stuff from a friend from Oz but i guess they would have similar rates. It's possible to fit 7DVDs inside a CD case if the insert is removed. Thats nearly 30Gbs. At approx 1-2 weeks to get, its quite attractive until the broadband situation stabilises here in India.

And i'm confident that it will, once more people get the taste, the demand should be there.