Car Tracker GPS Device to Locate car via Call/SMS/Web

• Thread starter Thread starter ghpk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,056
was thinking of buying this for a long time, most Indian Providers had expensive ones and had monthly fee

researched a few days and talked to one eBay seller in Jalandhar and he was nice in explaining everything, fair to deal with and I manged to get one device from him, which was for a friend.

Its yet to be installed in the car as he's moving always and needs to drop car at my disposal for few hours to test, install and hide it.

But the functionality this Rs.2999/- device gave me is awesome.
I have ordered a cheaper model for my car and it should reach me by monday, will post a review and install pics once I get hold of mine one.

if anyone interested i did a small intro video as all existing ones on youtube directly show how to install
and no one explained it in detail in simple language.

Great video!

thanks,
Hopefully I would be doing a install video in coming week and also bought another model of tracker, yet to reach me,
so would be able to test, install and check 2 more devices.

will try to post video in next weekend

just to update, I've recently got delivery for another model, This one is for my own car and I've checked it and made a video,
in process of editing its video and removing stuff like my phone number and other private data, may take a couple of day to get it ready.

The new one is TK06A for Rs.2699 and has good response.

Stay tuned for more detailed and Install Video soon.

Good video

Can the device be setup in a way that it receives the call without any kind of sound so that we can listen to what people are talking in the car?

Wow what a co-incidence I just that feature a minute ago.

You would need to set the device on monitor mode via SMS,
then dial and it receives the call and you can listen to it as long as you want.
However it would need another SMS to go back to tracking mode.

once device is installed in your car with a working SIM Card, I don't think you would ever need to pull it out for any reason, as everything
is done via SMS Commands.

haven't seen the video yet so forgive my ignorance.

want to know how exactly it tracks? is it GPS (as in global positioning system via satellite) or using GPRS (via mobile towers)? bcoz my understanding is that GPS would attract some annual charges and can not be free, and in case of GPRS how can it locate your car exactly? mobile operators can locate using mobile towers but how can this device do the same?

These devices have the GPS chip inside, which indeed uses global positioning system via satellites, and pin points your location.
as GPS needs to have a clear view of sky, but newer GPS devices are able to communicate even thru plastic body, which these devices are capable of, this device would work just fine when you stick it under the Dash of your car, or somewhere near back wind-shield.

To best of my understanding of these devices, Another method used is mobile tower triangulation method, where position is calculated by around three different ID"s sent by GSM Towers, so the Microprocessor inside the unit does its homework and retrieve a Latitude and Longitude of the location and sends it via SMS embeded in a Maps Link.

Other option where there's no GPS signal and for some reason the cellphone tower provided data is not getting resolved, this would send the best Last known location.

I know few things are sounding complex, but from whatever tests I've done they seem to be working fine but I am little skeptical too and would only put my Stamp "GHPK Approved" only when I do the On Road test of these units in coming weekend.
have requested 2 friends to accompany me for video recording and show data over laptop while we move around.

Lastly, yes web based tracking is offered free on most device, however the ones with cheapest price tag includes only 1 yr. subscription while
each other unit I've mentioned had tracking free for lifetime but restricted to one Device/one account/ one SIM only.

SMS based tracking system is free for lifetime as told to me by seller and from information available on web.

i thought only mobile towers can track a mobile phone using triangulation, and mobile phone can not locate itself as that would require mobile base towers to send handset their(base tower) longitudes,latitudes which i doubt they do.

anyway,will wait for your testing to see how well and accurate both kind of tracking work.

GPS is independent of mobile technologies. It is just that we are seeing it's biggest use in mobile and hence associate it with phones.

GPS is free to use AFAIK.

Yup. GPS till a certain precision is free to use. Only US military has access to precisioner version 😛 Which is why Europe, China, Russia and now India are working on their own rival network.