• Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 3,102
  • Tags Tags
    mtnl

sibot

ISP
MTNL
Hi,
I live in Saket and my MTNL exchange recently shifted from Hauz Khas to Pushp Vihar. My internet and landline services had been down for more than 20 plus days until I visited the Pushp Vihar Exchange personally and found out that the lines had been paired incorrectly and there was a jumper issue.

They corrected the fault at their end and the landline services were up again the next day. Though the internet services did not resume for another few hours until someone from the MTNL server's end issued a "command" to fix the fault.

My attenuation is lower than ever, it's down to ~20dB from earlier ~45+dB. The uplink also represents the correct speed of 2mbps.

THE ISSUE: From the day the internet services were resumed, I cannot seem to access some of the websites and others just open terribly slow. Say for example, Amazon.in does not open at all. At times I can get it to work in Chrome but mostly it just keeps loading forever.

I have tried changing from Google DNS to MTNL prescribed DNS', i.e. 59.179.243.70 and 203.94.243.70, but that has not helped. I am using a Huawei HG510 (shows Trendchip in the page though).

Can someone suggest any resolution for this issue? It seems to happen with random particular websites.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Okay so I've managed to fix the problem. Thanks to this forum and particularly this thread (some sites are not opening mtnl broadband) I got a lead that the culprit could be the MTU value in the router.

I forgot to mention that I had reset the modem when my internet wasn't working. The MTU value was set to 1500. I changed it to 1492 as it was suggested in the thread and voila! It worked! I can access all websites that I hitherto could not.

I also changed the MSS to 1360 when I stumbled across this MTNL webpage (STEPS) while searching for MTU values.

Can someone please tell me what their MSS values are? It was 0 for me before.

Thanks to this brilliant forum I have been able to diagnose and fix the problem! Cheers

UPDATE: So after updating the MSS, I am unable to access my Router setup page and cannot ping 192.168.1.1.

Worst of all, I am facing frequent disconnections now for some odd reason. The ADSL link keeps fluctuating and at times the modem just randomly reboots. Could this be an issue related to the MSS? Should I reset the router?

I have tried to connect the router directly to a laptop to see if I could access the setup page, but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!