Can we use TATA DOCOMO 3G Handset as modem for internet browsing on PC?

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 6,784
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
I recently purchased TATA DOCOMO sim. It had 500 MB data free with it, but was not sure if it was with 2G or 3G. So I recharged my sim with Rs 90 to get 100 MB 3G data. When I dialled "*111*1#", I could see that I have 500 MB free and 100 MB data remaining. I thought its 500 MB on 2G + 100 MB on 3G.I started browsing on PC using my phone as modem, and I was getting speed of 1.6 Mbps (which is not possible on 2G). But... the data being deducted was from 500 MB, while my 100 MB data was intact. Only after I finished 500 MB free data, my 100 MB data started deducting.So I called customer care to know about using phone as modem while using 3G internet.CC Replied - "I can only browse on 2G speed when I use phone as modem, while 3G speed will be available while browsing on handset"So is it true that we cannot use TATA DOCOMO 3G handset as modem to browse on PC?

It all depends on APN. If your APN is working while connecting to internet, then you can definately use it. Normally all operators have two APN: wap and net.Wap Enables to use internet on mobile whereas net allows to connect mobile to laptop as modem. Also if you are getting 1.6 mbps of speed , that means its working. So, ignore that CC Executive and call once again for clarification 🙂

Well, CC Executive was very confused when I started asking about APN.I used APN "tata.docomo.internet" with Nokia PC suite, when I got 1.6 Mbps. But CC said I should used "tata.docomo.dive.in" APN, which I guess is for WAP site.Anyways main thing is I can browse Internet with mobile as modem with good 3G speed, so I am thinking to purchase a 3G phone which would provide very good speed when used as modem.

Well, CC Executive was very confused when I started asking about APN.
I used APN "tata.docomo.internet" with Nokia PC suite, when I got 1.6 Mbps. But CC said I should used "tata.docomo.dive.in" APN, which I guess is for WAP site.

Anyways main thing is I can browse Internet with mobile as modem with good 3G speed, so I am thinking to purchase a 3G phone which would provide very good speed when used as modem.

Purchase 3G USB Data card (Modem) Instead of 3G Mobile. It's cost effective.

Well, CC Executive was very confused when I started asking about APN.
I used APN "tata.docomo.internet" with Nokia PC suite, when I got 1.6 Mbps. But CC said I should used "tata.docomo.dive.in" APN, which I guess is for WAP site.

Anyways main thing is I can browse Internet with mobile as modem with good 3G speed, so I am thinking to purchase a 3G phone which would provide very good speed when used as modem.

PC Suite does not show actual speed. Its shows the modem maximum speed . For accurate speed measurement try speedtest. 2G will never exceed 256 Kbps and 3G minimum speed will be 2-3 Mbps.

Purchase 3G USB Data card (Modem) Instead of 3G Mobile. It's cost effective.
That is also good option. But I wanted to use it with Combo plan where I will get 3G internet + talktime (some 500 min), so I want to have 3G mobile.

PC Suite does not show actual speed. Its shows the modem maximum speed . For accurate speed measurement try speedtest. 2G will never exceed 256 Kbps and 3G minimum speed will be 2-3 Mbps.
Yes, I checked speed on speedtest.net website when I got 1.6 Mbps speed result.

thats the problem with our cellular industries here in india, they just want to barge into the market without any techical know how and just make mockery out of general public.what ever cc told is absolutly rubbish. you were getting 3G speeds(1.6 mbps) in 2G you cannot get the given speeds.

yes we can use mobile but docomo has blocked the trick to get those 3g speedss on downloads..yeas u will get surfing as on 3g but downloading of only 18kB/s.. and i think soon docomo will block the trick of 3g surfing also......BTW, docomo rocksss in 3G speeds !!

Status
Not open for further replies.