Can we use any type of GPON ont for BSNL FTTH?

• Thread starter Thread starter NikhilS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 27,982
There is a difference between EPON (GEPON) and GPON. GPON is the newer standard. Eventhough GPON supports 2.2 Gbps download speeds, it will be capped to 1 Gbps due to the presence of Gigabit port on almost all GPON devices of today.

MTNL Mumbai is using GPON because they are newer and opted for newer technology. I have ordered a Chinese GPON device from AliExpress app. Will know if it works or not.

@arvindkgs If you ask me, I'd say just use your ONT in bridge mode and pair it with a good primary router. There are lot of options to choose from and are well supported. Just use the ONT as a dumb modem.

Btw which is your current ONT which doesn't let you port forward? I feel it's a basic feature and pretty much all devices support it.

@varkey Alphion AONT-100C GPON ONT modem.

It supports only DHCP, PPPoE, Static IP for WAN. It also has a port forwarding page, however it doesn't work for port 80. I have sent an email to the Alphion product services team as well. But did not get any satisfactory response. Maybe my modem is defective, because the page is available, but it does not work.

Before having ftth, I used to use my router TLink Archer as the main configurer, and the modem in bridge.
But my GPON ONT does not supprt bridge.

Interesting @arvindkgs. I looked at couple of YouTube videos and yes the Alphion ONT UI looks pretty basic. Although I wonder how the voice connections etc are configured, there don't seem to be a UI for it.
Also, is there any VLAN config available?

I've not tested port 80, but some providers do block common ports upstream and port-forwarding doesn't work. Have you tried other ports and do they work?

I tried on 8080. Didn't work. I am also not able to connect to my modem from internet (4G network). Maybe incoming connections on port 80 are blocked by my router. But I remember when I had broadband modem from bsnl prior to the fiber one, it worked. Pathetic modem configuration interface provided by Alphion. I also email them a detailed description of my problem to their tech supports but no reply. This what I sent
GOAL: To run a web-server on my PC that is accessible from internet.
SETUP:
Modem : Alphion AONT-100C GPON ONT (192.168.1.251)
Router: TP-Link Arch C50 Wireless Router (192.168.1.103)

CONFIGURATION:
1. Configured my Modem to forward all requests on port 80 to Router refer to above screenshots.
2. Configured my Router to Enable DDNS and register domain on No-ip
3. Configured forwarding from my Router to my PC on port 80

STEPS TRIED:
1. Tried hitting http://no-ip-domain from outside network. RESULT: dns lookup failed
2. Tried hitting http://no-ip-domain from inside local network, no-ip domain redirects to GPON ONT administration page(192.168.1.251)

@arvindkgs How have you setup the network? Looking at just the IP ranges you shared above it appears you might need to configure port forwarding bit differently.

Is the modem (is the ONT) connected to the WAN interface of the TP-Link? Or is it just connected to the LAN port where the TP Link acts as a dumb AP, and DHCP is handled by the modem?

If it's the latter, you should port forward directly to your PC IP address from the ONT, the TP link isn't doing any routing/NAT/PAT. So no traffic would actually be routed by the TP Link and hence the port forward options has no effect.

If it's the former, then your IP subnets might need some tweaking, so that there is no conflict.

@varkey Modem is set to PPPoE. It has a local ip - 192.168.1.251. This is the default. It also provides, DHCP for lan in range

192.168.1.1 ~ 192.168.1.254

So my TP-Link which is connected on LAN port to the Modem, is assigned an address in this range - 192.168.1.103. TP Link also gives DHCP as -

192.168.0.100~ 192.168.0.199

So my PC has IP 192.168.0.111.

I cannot set this IP in port forwarding in my modem, due to restriction on the IP range as shown below:

[If link fails, range of to IP addresses for port forwarding is 192.168.1.X, where X: 0 -> 255]

I can also not change the modem to bridge mode, so the TP link creates the DHCP. Only options are for WAN configurations are PPPoE, DHCP, Static IP.

I think my hands are tied. For now I am thinking of hosting my website on Google Cloud (It's very cost efficient for small websites.)

Okay, got it. You could try removing one layer of NAT/PAT and see if it helps. Connect the cable from the Alphion to one of the LAN ports of the TP-Link (not to the WAN port), manually set the TP Links internal LAN IP (not WAN) address to 192.168.1.2 (for example) (this is so that you can still access the TP Link management UI) and exclude that IP address from the DHCP range of the Alphion. Also disable the DHCP server of the TP Link.

In this config the TP Link acts like a dumb AP, and the PCs would get assigned an IP address by the Alphion ie in the 192.168.1.x range which you should be able to enter in the port-forwarding page. In this config try a higher port as well, say 32000.

Having said that, if your main intention is to run your own website, it is definitely more cost effective to just host it elsewhere (once you consider the electricity cost to run your desktop 24/7, uptime requirements, etc).

You could look at DigitalOcean as well, it is just 5$ per month including bandwidth for the basic VM and there is a DC in Bangalore as well.

Or look at Hetzner cloud (this is what I use) for 2.49 EUR per month. If you don't mind increased latency to Germany this is a good option.

Last edited: