Can we use any type of GPON ont for BSNL FTTH?

• Thread starter Thread starter NikhilS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 28,013
Depending on the olt type of LCO,latest Pon sfp supports both GPON/EPON.

@Nikhil Sharma So i registered a new Bsnl Ftth connection for which they are charging me 3000 for Syrotech Router which has combined ont+wifi but i doubt that whether it supports dual band frequency.. Can u suggest me an ONT which i can buy for the connection and get a dual band router along with it.. Reply ASAP.

Last edited:
@Npareek09 I suggest u should go with the most basic ont without wifi and put it in a bridge mode and connect it another wifi router . The router u suggest i have it . Altough it has a good decent 2.4ghz range but its not a dual band router . Archer c6 is a good option for a wifi router

@Npareek09 sy 1000 onu is a basic one I think, maybe there will be other basic models out there. Only thing u want to look out when buying ont and the wifi router is the availability of a gigabit port which is a absolute necessity, if ur connecting the gigabit port of the onu to the gigabit port of the router the perfomance will be very good and it's also future proof.rest of the things that can be considered is the availability of telephone port etc

@varkey
I think this web server guy got it all wrong.
How would he even be able to set port forwarding from Alphion ONT when the DHCP IP are 192.168.0.X
Since there is double Nat involved,He should first setup port forwarding between the routers.
Then,TP-Link should be forwarding the same port to PC at 192.168.1.X
Please clarify,I got really confused here.

@philip Buying an ONU instead of an ONT.. will it work with my BSNL FTTH connection?
Also should i buy the GPON one or EPON? lots of confusion there's no clarity regarding all of these..Even the guys working at bsnl they are just casual about it.. Syrotech GPON ONU Modem Fiber Optic + TP-Link Archer C20 AC750 Wireless Dual Band Router is what i am planning to buy.

In a FTTH scenario, both ONU or ONT are the same.

GPON or EPON would depend on the operator's OLT, you would need to ask the operator. It cannot be standardised for BSNL FTTH as each operator can use different OLTs.

Get a TP-Link Archer C6, for 500-600 Rs more, you get a gigabit device with better wireless performance.

hai , my modem is HG323RW. It 's an xpon modem my isp is providing EPON . yesterday i got an issue with my modem . it shows different mac address other than shown as in modem back sticker . And its showing GPON mode information. But my service provider connection is EPON. What i will do ? please help me to sort out this issue....

In a FTTH scenario, both ONU or ONT are the same.

GPON or EPON would depend on the operator's OLT, you would need to ask the operator. It cannot be standardised for BSNL FTTH as each operator can use different OLTs.

Get a TP-Link Archer C6, for 500-600 Rs more, you get a gigabit device with better wireless performance.
hey guys, i know this is a puny question, If i buy an onu for BSNL ftth, how can i use voice in the onu since it doesnt have a telephone jack, or can i configure a softphone in it???