can we partition a external laptop hard-disk?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lokesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5,844

Lokesh

Regulars
ISP
Trib 649_Combo
have a 80GB laptop hard-disk (external).can i create partitions in it (i want 3-4 partitions) and can they exist in different formats(FAT32 & NTFS)? use USB to connect to my pc!please tell me the software name too to do the needful!does partition magic helps?

You absolutely can do it, the partition is like having many disks within one, so their individual file systems will have no effect on the other. To create it you can use Windows XP's Logical Disk Manager service or like you said, partition magic too will do the job just fine.

Regarding USB flash drives, most manufacturers (see Imation) suggest using the bundled software to do the partitioning. Using Windows LDM, Partition Magic etc might be dangerous because they were written keeping hard-disks (SCSI, PATA etc in mind) and similar devices in mind.

Flash drives are different and the manufacturer knows his device best. Formatting an existing partition might not be too difficult (see How do I format a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system?).

At any rate be careful when you do it. For every successful attempt, there is a corresponding horror story. Do it only if you can afford to throw the thing away if it becomes unusable.

The following is generally a good thing to keep in mind - if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

but when i create partitions on the external HD using windows LD Manager will the info (file system) be stored in the External HD or in the windows ? on other computers will it show the partitions?also, can i lock a partition (once created) with a password?😗Seagate 80GB laptop hard disk (using USB port to connect!)

but when i create partitions on the external HD using windows LD Manager will the info (file system) be stored in the External HD or in the windows ?
The file system is ALWAYS stored on the disk. Windows only stores information on drives connected, current drive-mappings etc in the registry so that it can use it the next time.

on other computers will it show the partitions?
Yes, it will.

also, can i lock a partition (once created) with a password?
1. Software solutions are available that enable you to create encrypted/ hidden/ virtual/ password protected partitions. I have not used them. Can't comment on them.
2. You can use EFS (Encrypting File System) on NTFS volumes. But it only works on a file/ folder level and not on the partition/ volume level. Further, you need to backup your profile or a certificate or something. Otherwise, if you reinstall Windows or do some such thing, you will be unable to access such encrypted data ever.

In my opinion NTFS is the best way to restrict access of the contents of the drive, since it only requires Admin privileges to be set or removed it is also safe, but it can be confusing for the first time user to use.

tell me about it! i have lost data multiple times just coz windows needed a reinstall and i just could not remove the security settings set in the previous install 😀

You couldn't? It doesn't have any special password or such to enable access, all it looks for is whether your account belongs to the Admin group or not.

well sometimes it works...changing auditing, ownerships and stuff like that. i still do not get it completely. but i have failed to recover encrypted ntfs hosted data 😀

Well you first take ownership of the data, when doing so in a situation with sub-folders check the option to replace owner of the sub containers too, then apply. After that you can change the access permissions options depending on what type of account has what abilities, you should also check the inheritance from parent to child bit so that the sub folders too get same access level. Not all that hard when you know what is where. 😛Vista is good in this way, all the important files and folders are restricted to even Admins, you have to take ownership before one gets access to them, so in a way most people will have to learn how exactly this works. 😉

i now use an external hard disk for the data i want to keep away from any other person who might end up getting access to my machine. which is very rare.

"EFS on NTFS" and "NTFS" are two completely different things.

Even if I only have privileges of a limited user, if I create a folder, set it to use EFS and put my files in it, there is no way ANYBODY (not even an administrator) can access the data if I am not logged on. The data is encrypted. Period.

NTFS permissions, on the other hand are very simple to remove.

1. Log in as administrator.
2. Right-click on folder/ file of interest. Open the Properties dialog.
3. Go to the Security tab and click on the Advanced button.
4. A new window opens. Go to the Owner tab.
5. Select the account that should take ownership of the object, check the "replace owner" check-box and click on the Apply button. Thats it.