Can someone explain this

cliffgamerz

I have BSNL 625 Combo unlimited plan which has a speed of 256 kbps = ~30KBps,but when downloading from these files from these BSNL sites the speeds of download reach around 200KBps.The sites are listed below.

On-Demand Entertainment Store download the preview video
http://www.assam.bsnl.co.in/CDBSNL.zip
http://www.assam.bsnl.co.in/Huawei_Driver.rar
http://www.assam.bsnl.co.in/LGUSBModemDriver.rar

Can i somehow download other files at these speeds?

essbebe

Regulars
Downloads from BSNL servers manualFW etc are usually fast.

My plan Home 750 512Kbps

Some firmware downloads etc even 200 MB not counted .
( I won't give the link to avoid more complications for you !)

aatuif

the geek in chief
Regulars
@ess, how do they switch line speeds for a particular site/download !! There should be a way around to use this fast 'channel' for other sites also !!!!!!!!

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Regulars
@ aatuif,Can you explain a bit ? What do you want to do ? There is a software called Netlimiter using which you can limit the speed of individual programs.

essbebe

Regulars
BSNL change servers at their end, for these downloads you are connected to fast d/l servers. Other web sites speed will vary. Actual accurate test for download : Try a Microsoft web site download.We can tweak speed by using tcpip optimizer from speedguide.net.Change of DNS may load web sites faster.

aatuif

the geek in chief
Regulars
@dilip, using the fast servers for other sites as well !

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Regulars
You cannot select any server or channel in domestic BSNL connection. Suppose you are using a 2 Mbps connection, if line conditions are favourable, you will get 2 Mbps for a single download. But if you want to browse at the same time and have a torrent download, you can limit any application using full bandwidth. Both IDM and utorrent allows you to limit the speed of individual download. If you are using any other app without this feature you can use this Netbalancer software.

aatuif

the geek in chief
Regulars
Dilip, I am talking about the server which essbebe mentioned. Downloads from bsnl sites are comparatively faster than the subscribed speed. So is there a way by which we can download faster from other sites also ?? a way around !!!

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Regulars
Oh, sorry, missed that post. Yes, BSNL sites offer 2 Mbps for downloads from their sites irrespective of plans. But it is only for those sites. There is no legal means to bypass the speed cap for other sites. Some people claim to hack the server and get higher speed. But it is very easy for BSNL to detect such activity and if caught you will be fined heavily. If the officials are too strict, it may end up in a jail term as it is a crime by law.

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
Regulars
yes guys meetdilip is right. my point was too the same.actually see these sites are only used in india. and most of all the fact to think is who keeps accessing this sites simultanously. very very few. just imagine.may be its just you and me jusy acessing and downloading. the thing is if the quarter of india access this site simultenouasly then u wont get 2mbps download speed. so they do no have fast servers they just have no load on it.basicaly its the load on the server that usually matters.