Can one buy a MTNL ADSL router, not rent.

• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,570

scott274

BBF Noob
ISP
MTNL Triband
My old D-Link GLB-502t router seems to be going bad. ADSL led doesn't glow and it takes many reboots to get it working at the start. Those MTNL technicians came to my place couple of days back and showed me the line was ok by installing another of their own brand modem. Now I am thinking of buying a new one, probably a Dlink GLB-802C which is the latest right! But one thing I was wondering and didn't ask them at the time was, can one buy one of those MTNL routers, not rent (which can be done for Rs.300 + Rs.50/-month = Expensive). If yes how much & would it be durable or better go for dlink. My old 502T worked ok for about 4.5 years now.One more thing, anybody here knows the current rate for D-Link GLB-802C in lamington road.

err Rs 50/mo is pretty cheap compared to the cost of the modem... Look at this way even after 2 yrs you would have only payed Rs 1500 ... Also coz u are renting it you have full warranty for the modem so if it fails after 13 months (it only carries a 1yr warranty) MTNL will still replace it for you for free... Anyway if u still want to buy it outright the price is either 1350/- or 1800/-...PS you were very lucky that your 1st modem lasted you so long... For the last 3 yrs I have had to get my modem changed every 8-12 months...

I've always wondered - would a brand new, state of the art modem perform better than the old, outdated junk that MTNL gives us? (By better, I don't mean faster speeds, but rather the ability to perform better with noisy lines and provide a stable connection.) Anyone have experience with this?

PS you were very lucky that your 1st modem lasted you so long... For the last 3 yrs I have had to get my modem changed every 8-12 months...
Instead of feeling assured I am feeling more doubtful now, maybe the reason you had so many modem problems was because MTNL was not providing you with a good router. Maybe most of their routers in circulation are of similar quality. On the other hand if you got a brand new modem from the shop, the chances of you having to deal with MTNL every 8 odd months may be lesser.

Another nagging thought that has resurfaced is that if I have such a good piece then perhaps I should just get the faulty part repaired instead. Have read about it in google & it costs around 500 bucks to replace the faulty chip inside although I also read that rust starts developing after years of use.. I donno.. is this rust issue that much of a issue.. shop ya service center.. they are both in lamington here

@ anant.del : How much does a similar Linksys router come for, what model No. !! Just checked the prime ABGB website and the prices for linksys seems quite costly compared to something like D-Link.
Code:
http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=72&Itemid=53

Instead of feeling assured I am feeling more doubtful now, maybe the reason you had so many modem problems was because MTNL was not providing you with a good router. Maybe most of their routers in circulation are of similar quality. On the other hand if you got a brand new modem from the shop, the chances of you having to deal with MTNL every 8 odd months may be lesser.

Err I m pretty sure I was not trying to assure u in anyway with my post... It was meant more as a warning... What I was trying to say is if u are gonna go for the MTNL modem its better to rent it rather than buy it outright due to its low reliability... BTW D-Link modems also arnt very high quality & prone to failures (almost as frequently as the crap MTNL ones)... IF u want a High quality modem be prepared to spend in excess of 3.5-4k for it... Frankly speaking I dont really find "dealing" with MTNL all that hard... I m not sure what is the status of my modem(rented or bought 3-4 yrs ago) but whenever it stops working I just call up the MTNL guy(have his personal mobile number) & he comes & replaces it in a few hours... I aint paying modem rental to MTNL so not really sure how he replaces it for me for free but havent had a prob for the last 3-4 yrs... I feel working class ppl find it hard to deal with govt employees (like MTNL or MSEB etc) but when u have been in business for a few yrs u understand how to handle such govt employees... Just give them respect, offer them a cup of tea with biscuits when they are working on ur problem & make sure to give them their yearly diwali bakshish and you will find they will get work done for you without any tension & cost effectively...Just show them the LOVE 😛...

Anyway I went a bit offtopic here... The main funda is if u are considering a dlink modem its better if u stick to a rented MTNL one(almost the same quality) & if u want a better one then get a very good one rather than a intermediate one... BTW the broadband scenario is changing almost monthly now a days & the possibility that u will remain on ADSL technology for the next 2-3 yrs is very rare so make your choice accordingly...

or maybe a Netgear wifi-N one for about 2500/-... I think we kind of skipped the budget part as in how much is the OP willing to loosen his purse 😛..

@ rajadeep: sorry bro, I completely misread you. Actually it's not yet clear to me if one can officially buy a new MTNL modem; they can only be rented it seems. But after hearing the reviews, it's doubtful now if I will buy one even if they were available..

My budget for the ADSL router modem is not more than 1.5K and if it worked as long as my old one did, I will be happy. By the way, quality wise does it make a difference.. Anybody has any personal experience on these (non wifi)..
D-Link -- Model: GLB-802C -- Price Range: Rs.1100-Rs.1400
Linksys -- Model: ?? -- Price Range: ??
Netgear -- Model: ?? -- Price Range: ??
Belkin -- Model: ?? -- Price Range: ??

I saw there are different types of modems in each brand, I need one similar to the D-Link GLB series (one with phone line-in-out/ethernet/usb ports). Any info on the Model type of the other brands will be appreciated. I will probably make up my mind on what to do by the next Sunday. Thanks for your help guys, repped all :friends:

Bought IBall Baton ADSL2+ Router Wired, Model IB-LR6111A, [FONT=&amp]Rs.[/FONT]1050/- 3 years Warranty. Comes with a On/Off switch. Configuration was done in some 3-4 steps. While selecting the connection type I choose PPPoE LLC, (other option were PPPoE VC-MUX, PPPoA LLC, PPPoA VC-MUX). Net is working fine but will it make a difference (speed wise) if I choose any of the other options.