Can Jio reassign any (other) number to a dead Fiber(prepaid) box?

• Thread starter Thread starter shashankb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 2,319
ISP
▪️ BSNL Fiber
▪️ Jio 5G
▪️ AS139195-Seans Media
I did not recharge it for quite a long time after the trial period. (Installation guy said its fine to leave it unrecharged -_-)

The number is now lost and reassigned to someone else. But the connection and wire setup is still there. Customer care says fresh connection is required and I have shell out 1500( I will get 500 from the existing box) again to get a new connection. I could claim 500 by giving back the router, but I need that connection now.
Why cannot Jio assign a new number to the existing GPON box? Is there any way? CC says no though. Have you tried this?

Technically its possible, I wonder why Jio is not doing this. Maybe to exploit

How long was it idle for?

Why do you require the exact same landline number? It was a trial number and seeing it as you didn’t choose to recharge it even once free the trial, is enough grounds for a company to disconnect and reallot that number. This is the case whenever a company is rapidly growing the customer base and has to either choose to recycle defunct numbers or purchase a new number block from DOT.

Suppose i take new JioFiber. After trial recharge for 3 months & after 3 months don't recharge for a whole year. Will my connection be terminated? I don't care about landline number or anything. Will my connection still work if I recharge after 1 year? Or the jio guys will cut my wire outside house. Will I get my refund if I don't recharge my connection for 1 year and recharge it after 1 year?

I do not need the same number. I need Jio to acknowledge that I already have a GPON ONT(which is paperweight now) given by them. They could just assign it a new number and make it work. But Jio wants me to take a new connection. Hope this clears it

They tell me that they cannot activate the same connection with a new Landline number.

Last edited:
Ah okay. Makes sense now. Yes. They can do what you suggested. It’s basic account number matching with the serial number of your ONT. Sounds like another one of Reliance‘s grand scams. They were notorious for scams when they launched their mobile arm back in the early 2000s. I’m sure there are many more like you still holding onto their trial ONTs in the hopes that they can reactivate it someday.

Yes this definitely is a scam. I have to do the first recharge within 15 days of the trial period to stop it from going into Auto cancellation. This was not informed to me by any technician or the website in a clear manner. They will have put it in some corner of the website where it does not get indexed by google search

Well they do call you many times, but they do not tell you that your number will be wiped if not done recharge within 15 days of trial. They say it will be "disconnected"

I am not fond of using it as a repeater. If it can become an AP with input as LAN, then it might be worth something. I just requested a refund anyways.
The Jio CC team on-call says "it has to be recharged regularly, other wise your connection will be disconnected completely" which I suppose means you will lose the number. Now it made me think what is the difference between Prepaid and Postpaid. Jio has found a way to make money on Fiber just like 4G sim.
I will soon be properly verifying that mandatory requirement of theirs to recharge every month

They also have not mentioned anything on their website. Very sus.

Last edited:
He can't go to NCH because ISP is at right to disconnect with warning calls he got.
On the other hand, I had not recharged my jio for almost an year but the line and account was still active when I got it disconnected few months back. Maybe they changed this with trial account or recent policy change of account closures.