Can I use wireless router with Reliance JioGigaFiber Rs. 1500 ONT

Evilbrain

[OP]
Regulars
Oct 10, 2011
ok so i opted for the 1500 box and to my surprise this doesnt come with wifi .

called the dude and he told me that nothing can be done now..

am i screwed ?

i do have a router lying around

D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N 300 ADSL2 + Router

this one, it has wifi

can i connect the old router using the ethernet cable and get wifi working ? idk if thats possible..

any help is appreciated ..

EDIT
ok update guys , i figured out how to convert my existing dlink adsl router to a wan ethernet router

the wifi is working as of now,

had to tinker around a bit , change firmware etc. :p

thanks for all your support

Last edited:

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Sure, that would work.

Btw could you please post couple of pics of the 1500 Rs ONT?

webie

Regulars
Aug 21, 2015
Yes, it's possible. Just connect it to LAN and assign DHCP. Shouldn't be hard. However I am not sure how Jio login works, if you can enlighten me their auth process, I can help a bit better. but get a router which supports 5.0ghz , as you won't be able to reach 100mbps with this router on wireless.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
that d-link probably would not work as it is a adsl modem plus wireless router. so it would be advisable to get a high performance dedicated wireless router if you are on a high speed plan (above 100mbps).

update. i guess i am wrong based on above comments. from my understanding, most adsl combo devices do not work well as wireless routers. plus i imagine wireless performance would be shit.

webie

Regulars
Aug 21, 2015
@Sushubh it would work. adsl or not, it doesn't matter, all is needed is to assign dhcp. I have 2 modem router and I have one rj11 bsnl connected to one adsl modem router and have connected LAN to the other modem router to it and works fine. Yeah router is shit and won't be able to reach the speeds that Jio can deliver.

Reactions: Sushubh

Evilbrain

[OP]
Regulars
Oct 10, 2011
i dont really need uber fast wifi tbh, even 40mbps would be good enough for now

Reactions: Sushubh

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i guess than try to configure the dlink router like suggested above and get it working! and share photos of the ont box from multiple angles!

Evilbrain

[OP]
Regulars
Oct 10, 2011
can you tell me how though ?
ha-ha

i feel like i should have at least opted for 2500 rs plan...sucks i cant change my plan now :(

Evilbrain

[OP]
Regulars
Oct 10, 2011
from what i get i need to "convert" my adsl router to a wan router ? is that correct >?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
you should see upload images option below the quick reply box. just use that to upload photos taken from a phone perhaps?

personally i think it is better to have a separate wireless device as it gets you more flexibility. you can get a much more powerful device with better functionality.