Can I use Bridge mode on two PCs for the same connection at the same time?

BasKingndSun

ISP
MTNL
Hello everyone!
I am trying to use the same MTNL connection on two PCs without any hub, switch etc. - just by using the D-Link modem/router through USB cable on the first PC in the same room as the modem/connection and through LAN cable on the second PC in another room.
I am able to connect both the PCs in the Bridge mode by making a dial-up (WAN) connection as guided in this forum. But I cannot connect both the PCs at the same - if I connect one PC, the other cannot be connected or the USB status icon on the PC systray goes away or the USB status LED on the modem goes away i.e., there is no connection. Then it is impossible to make the connection on either of the PCs without restarting the PCs and powering off/on the modem. I have tried this with both PCs running Windows XP SP2 updated. Please guide me.

u already got an explaination.... u cann't bridge 2 PC simultaneously...u need to form a lan to surf the net on 2 ek-saath....

@ashishgoelThanks for the reply. Do you mean that I have to enable Win XP internet connection sharing through LAN with the first PC sharing the connection with the second PC? I do not want either of the PCs depending on each other for the connection. Please explain. @essbebeThanks for the links brother. And yes, you are right. It has been sometime since I visited this forum. I should visit here more often. Please do not mind. Coming to the point now, 1. My router is not a wireless router, it is D-Link 502T, an old one. So, I cannot connect in the wireless mode as suggested by your first link. 2. Thanks for the 2nd link, I had been to the page previously, but another look was worth it. 3.The two PCs are far apart, about 50 metres away from each other. So, USB solution would be a bit expensive. The other option would be to buy a cheap hub and to share the connection from the modem itself. Please advise if there is another way in my situation. Or, is it impossible to use Bridge mode on both PCs simutaneously as suggested by ashishgoel?

Yes, I was also thinking that the distance is too much for a wireless LAN. That is why I have not applied for a wireless router. Alright, I will check again. But I am sure that I have already assigned two different I.P. addresses, 192.168.1.2 on the first PC and 192.168.1.2 on the second PC and checked this now again. I have already successfully tried "Always On" earlier but I wanted to apply Bridge mode so that the I can schedule connecting and disconnecting on the second PC to use 12 a.m. to 8 a.m. free slot without going and restarting the modem in the room where the modem is. It is in my parent's room and I do not want to disturb them in the night. In the Always On mode with LAN I can achieve what I want but rebooting router can fail too. Can I be able to do what I want if I enable the Bridge mode by connecting the PCs through a cheap Hub instead of the USB cable and then connecting and disconnecting each PC through a PPPoE dial up? Please post. If a cheap Hub helps the situatin I am willing to buy one. Thank you.

then I will have to shift the phone line too (extend it)...and the linesman says multiple connections of the same number is not allowed...you have to get permission for that...is it true?...and then there is poor line quality as a result...

No. No permission required for Internal wiring any number of extensions inside the house.Dads room TF line===.>rj11 to splitter phone port === Rj11>>> to telephone.another RJ11 from splitter adsl(port) to your room ==>> rj11 to modem===>rj45==.>>your computer. USB Port.Another Rj45 cable from MODEM ===>> your dad's computer.try it. All telephones/cordless etc AFTER the splitter. Or use separate splitter for each telephone.