Can Anyone Tell Me Why Beer Is So Cheap In Delhi?

• Thread starter Thread starter parth.paul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 7,361
QUOTE(blr_p @ Aug 26 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]60124[/snapback]
I dont care so much about beer taste, i drink it for the high. What i do care about taste in is wines, and they are exorbitant here in BLR.
[/b]

For high, drink "Cask Strength" scotch or Jaipur whisky (both have 60% alcohol 😉 ). In UK, I used to pay 30 pounds for Cask Strength, and in India Jaipur Whisky sells for double the price.

QUOTE(blr_p @ Aug 26 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]60124[/snapback]
A wine from maharashtra or Goa goes for Rs.400+ !!!! ..if not more.
[/b]

Sula (the wine that you mentioned) sells for nearly the same amount in Mumbai/Pune as well 🙁 . I think wine is still considered a expensive drink and sold as such.

Last week, I saw Sula being sold for $23 in a restaurent in manhattan. This restaurent (Utsav) is quite famous among IT crowd.

I find with beers above 6%, tend to have a strong alcohol taste which isn't for me. I prefer when i can't taste the alcohol in a beer, it goes down easier that way. In the US they call it malt liquor.My point about the wines is they are charging western prices for a locally made product. $8-$10 in India is ridiculous. I might be better off, making it myself in that case. If a bottle of beer goes at Rs.50. You get 3-4 glasses out of a bottle so that would put it at around Rs.200, yet they charge easily double it. Making a real killing, clearly targetting the export market.Wine isn't only for the rich, that's only like 20% of all wines made. In the west the price of wine is comparable to any liquor or beer for a similar measure and pretty decent too. The California ones being the best in the US, i've tried the NY ones and even been to the vineyards at the northern tip of LI, but they are not worth the price they are sold at. You could get better & cheaper, from CA, or anywhere else for that matter.$23 in a restaurant, is pricy, but then you're in manhattan, What would it cost in a wine merchants ? i bet half as much.

Well I think Haywards 5000 is best in terms of taste and the kick. I never liked fosters. I usally like strong beers. In fact if you compare other beers with Haywards then I think the later is dammn good