MTNL Delhi Can anyone help me figure out the problem with my internet connection?

ISP
MTNL
Hey so I use 2 mbps unlimted mtnl plan.

I am experiencing a weird problem with packet loss. When I use pingtest.com to test my packetloss it shows no packet loss (0%) but when I use command prompt to ping google.com or any other website I get few packet loss. This packet loss problem makes me unable to watch any livestreams on Twitch.com and heavily causes lags in online games.

And now the weird part, when I take my telephone's headset off till it goes on engage, my packet loss disappears completely, twitch streams starts working fine. When I put the headset back on the telephone, the packet loss reappears. I tried disconnecting my telephone completely from the adsl splitter but it doesn't fix my problem. Only way my problem gets fixed is by taking my telephone's headset off-hook. Tho somedays I get like no packet loss at all even when my handset is on the telephone. Also sometimes, restarting my router a couple of times fixes the problem.

Can anyone explain me what exactly is causing the problem? Is this a line problem? Or something from mtnl side? The customer support is not helping me at all.

Last edited:
Line. Taking receiver off hook changes line resistance.

Post stats

Line. Taking receiver off hook changes line resistance.

Post stats
Sry I am a complete newbie in these types of things. Which stats should I post and from where?

Also can you explain it more how taking receiver off hook changes line resistance?

Line stats from your modem page. SNR attenuation etc.

DSL works only with phone off-hook, known as High Open AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information

Excellent write up on the topic. Go through it!
Here are the stats I found on modem page. Click the image to enlarge it.
imxYxKy.png

Btw is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I doubt that anyone on the mtnl office even knows about this stuff, so complaining to them would be useless. I just want to watch livestreams on Twitch.tv without buffering.

I am also planning to just change my ISP, are there any good ISPs that offer 2mpbs unlimited internet connection without FUP in New-Delhi? I tried Airtel earlier but it has FUP. Also my usage per month exceeds 125 GB @ 2 Mbps.

Last edited:
Infact, complain here:

pgportal.gov.in and select Dept of Telecom - MTNL

In the complaint box, write down - Faulty line. Very low SNR. High noise. Internet not usable.

If you read posts on faulty lines in the forum, you should get an idea of how to diagnose what line is faulty. Isn't needed though, let MTNL figure that out.

Infact, complain here:

pgportal.gov.in and select Dept of Telecom - MTNL

In the complaint box, write down - Faulty line. Very low SNR. High noise. Internet not usable.

If you read posts on faulty lines in the forum, you should get an idea of how to diagnose what line is faulty. Isn't needed though, let MTNL figure that out.

I don't think complaining there would help me at all. So I searched around google to fix low SNR. And one of the fixes suggested changing ADSL mode to G.DMT in the modem settings. So I changed it and now here are my stats.
GCXOwF6.png

Is everything ok now? I was getting 6 db SNR earlier and now it is 9 db. Should I keep the adsl mode set to G.DMT or revert it back to auto-sync? Also is there anything more I can do from my side to increase the SNR value? My current SNR Margin Downstream value fluctuates from 9.0-9.5 db.

Last edited:
Well. Change your thinking. 😀

It does work. Especially for bsnl, mtnl.

No, 9dB is not good either. Slight flictuation in line conditions will lead to.issues again. But if it works for you, well and good.

Well. Change your thinking. 😀

It does work. Especially for bsnl, mtnl.

No, 9dB is not good either. Slight flictuation in line conditions will lead to.issues again. But if it works for you, well and good.

My internet seems to be working fine now with 9db SNR. I can now watch twitch streams without any buffering. Thanks for telling me about this SNR thing.

If any future problems arise with this 9db SNR, I will contact the customer support to fix my low snr. Btw do the guys at exchange centre have any knowledge about this stuff?