Cable Operator Business

• Thread starter Thread starter NikhilS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,307
ISP
BSNL
Hi,

I'm just curious how does these traditional cable TV business work. Like from where do these guys get the stream and then how do they forward/distribute it.

One of my friends is thinking of starting an ISP business (TSP of BSNL) in the local area (profit/investment) is not an issue, he wants to provide triple-play services, internet & telephone is done but I'm wondering about the video stream.

Is there anyone/any blog which can explain these things?

Most of the LCOs tie up with a larger content aggregator kind of service provider (MSO), and the LCO mostly takes care of last mile connectivity and things. Like Den, Siti Cable, Hathway, Asianet, Kerala Vision etc.

So you basically tie up with one of them serving your area.

In my case it's BSNL. Do they provide IPTV services?

Second topic: What about the normal cable tv operators, without internet? What is the source of their feed?

You can tie up with multiple providers. For example my LCO, he provides Cable TV and Internet from a MSO called Kerala Vision, he also does BSNL FTTH Internet and Voice. It all comes through the same last mile cabling to the customer premises.

BSNL I am not sure if they do IPTV anymore, I remember reading about it a while back.

For TV, Den, Hathway, InDigital, Siti etc are the only options. For FTTH+Calling, you can talk to BSNL, BBNL, Railtel, Limras Eronet, Nextra etc. Almost all ISPs last mile is handled by the cable guys only. But make sure you don't stick to a single operator. Tie up with multiple ones. Please beware that laying and maintaining overhead OFC is a big headache. Cable mafia, regulatory work, rain, trees, large trucks can be the everyday worst nightmares.

Hi,

I'm just curious how does these traditional cable TV business work. Like from where do these guys get the stream and then how do they forward/distribute it.

One of my friends is thinking of starting an ISP business (TSP of BSNL) in the local area (profit/investment) is not an issue, he wants to provide triple-play services, internet & telephone is done but I'm wondering about the video stream.

Is there anyone/any blog which can explain these things?
honestly don't suggest starting in this business unless you have contacts/prior experience. better bet would be to partner up with existing LCO. maybe buy a share in it or buying it outright

There is no money left in the LCO business with the big players (Airtel, Jio and Tata coming up with their FTTH), I don't think it's good for a LCO to enter when all these mid level ISP will cry to their death and that includes Hathway, Den, Excitel, TriplePlay, Siti, Den or any other.

Basically, Broadband industry will be ruled by three people: Airtel, Jio and Tata at-least in Metros now in coming year.

LCO's business is best if they can provide the services in villages or remote areas. Like area of Nangloi.

Second major thing, right now the NDPL Poles looks like as if we live in Slums. I'm sure sooner or later there will be rules about those poles to clean up. I'll try to upload the images of the poles how worst they look. (It feels like thousands of wire hanging and make a spider-web).

So it's quite possible, NDPL might clean up the mess and make the strict rules about it.

Third, Ethernet/Coaxile are no where going to be the successful ISP Infra. If you are really interested? Start with FTTH directly.

Exception: Ethernet can work in the remote area/villages.

Choose your market wisely and stay away from the metro's/well-developed cities specially the prime and urban areas of the cities.