• Thread starter Thread starter udey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 3,733

udey

ISP
Lastmile Cable Internet
Hello friends,

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit on Acer Aspire Notebook running Intel Core 2 duo with all the fancy hardware. No other OS on the Notebook.

There are many features of the Notebook I am unable to use in Ubuntu.
But firstly I need to get started with the internet.

So I am using my Dektop PC running WindowsXP to find out what I can do to be happy with my Notebook running Ubuntu 9.04

My ISP is Lastmile (cable internet)

OK, I have tried:
1. PPPCONFIG : This gives a TUI menu to enter data - but it does not recognise "eth0". It says "/dev/eth0" was not found. I had selected automatically detect connections but it does not find eth0. But the Network Manager shows "eth0" existing and installed.
Also the TUI menu of pppconfig suggests only COM ports of "ttyS1" / "ttyS2" / "ttyS3". It doesn't find "eth0".
the results of my "pppconfig".
>>> 1. What happens is it takes all the data input and saves it in a connection I named "lastmile".
>>> 2. Then I run the "sudo pon lastmile" command and it gives the error of not finding any "/dev/eth0"
>>> 3. So of course the PPPCONFIG supposedly doesn't need any manual entries in 9.04 but it seems its TUI offers limited finctionality to customise settings.
>>> 4. In the TUI I had selected the option to automatically detect the network devices but it only lists the "ttyS0" / "ttyS1" / "ttyS2" / "ttyS3". It doesn't find "eth0".

Yet my Network Manager knows there is a "eth0".

2. Roaring Penguin : Downloaded from WinXP this utility and extracted it on my Notebook by copying it from USB drive.
So here is the command and the setup finalised info:
$ sudo pppoe-setup

** Summary of what you entered **

Ethernet Interface: eth0
User name: udey
Activate-on-demand: No
DNS addresses: Supplied by ISP's server
Firewalling: STANDALONE

Type 'pppoe-start' to bring up your PPPoE link and 'pppoe-stop' to bring
it down. Type 'pppoe-status' to see the link status.
$ sudo pppoe-start
................TIMED OUT
$

NOTE THAT this setup never asked me for dial number.

3. Of course the Network Manager has been of no help in connecting to my Cable Internet.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

:wall:

OK, so now I figured my ISP is different from the regular connections people use world over.

So I found these 2 threads:

BOTH threads have the creator who never posted if they managed to solve this issue or not.

🙁

OK, refer to the forum user "navir" of Bombay, India who posted back in 2006 the below problem which best describes my ISP and my internet connectivity problems.

The "navir" dude also mentions my ISP "lastmile" in the first post on second page of the below thread.

pppoe help (raspppoe and pppoeconf) - Ubuntu Forums

1. See, I too have a raspppoe client in my WinXP to dial.
2. I too have a simple cable line coming from my ISP and the cable goes into my computer's LAN point
3. There is no router nor anything else - a simple cable internet which my Windows XP calls "LAN". WinXP calls this PPP over Ethernet.

4. The last post there by a Russian user says he got it working.
5. Sadly the Indian users including "navir" whose problem is same as mine - have not posted whether they gave up or tried and resolved it.

So there - now that is what I am facing - raspppoe ?!? What do I do for it in Ubuntu ?

See the dates on the forum topic - it reveals a lot too. :S

That thread is in Archives and is locked.

A similar problem thread here: Another dead-end - no one says they solved it.
Internet with RASPPPOE - Ubuntu Forums

Any tips or links or help would be most appreciated.

Best Wishes,
UD

OK, minor breakthrough but dead-end

Found:
The Cable Modem HOWTO
through
Connecting to internet via cable modem - Ubuntu Forums

So compared my settings with
Configuration

I GOT CONNECTED to the Network BUT no way to submit userid / password.

I used the WIRED option in Network Manager.

But I am unable to use 802.1x Security Tab

So it seems DHCP works with my cable net instead of the previous failed attempts of DSL in Netwok Manager.

The Ubuntu terminates the net services on using 802.1x Security Tab and I have to reboot or logout of Ubuntu session and then again start with everything.

No way of providing user id and password to the ISP.

So I am connected and yet not online.