Cable internet connection sharing (NOT BROADBAND)

sunandoghosh

ISP
depends
Cable internet connection sharing (NOT BROADBAND)sharing internet connection taken from cablewallahHi First of all we all know that in so many cities in India we till date mostly use cable internet connection (and are at mercy of our cablewallah)...The one biggest benefit seems to be not purchasing any modem/router/switch just cable wires coming and RJ-45 getting into ur LAN card at back of PC...Now say if i have two computers and i want to share this internet connection then what i can do is use internet connection sharing of windows xp feature and making the first computer (in which cable line goes) as host computer and second computer as client; we can share such internet.Additional requirements: Host PC must have one additional LAN card.Now say i dont want this host computer stuff (bcz second computer can have internet only so long as host computer is on and connected to internet) but want centralized networking...can i put cablewallah cable into say router then switch and connect two computers from the switck (like sharing dataone on multiple computers)thanks........and yes any special settings for TCP/IP properties on connected computers...

can i put cablewallah cable into say router then switch and connect two computers from the switck (like sharing dataone on multiple computers)[/b]

sunandogosh,

There are combination router-firewall-4 port switches(10/100MBs) avilable now.
Dont buy switch(or hub) and router seperately. For a small home network , it is much easier to get one unit.

D-Link DI-604

http://www.dlink.co.in/dlink/Products/broadband/di604.htm

and yes any special settings for TCP/IP properties on connected computers...[/b]

None. Just enable DHCP on the router and in the PCs, got into TCP/IP properties just click on "Obtain IP address automatically".

Absolutely no settings to bother with in the PCs.

In the router go with the default DHCP settings and just put in your username/pwd in the PPPoE settings page or your username/pwd in Static IP, if your ISP gives you one.

Thats all 🙂

"There are combination router-firewall-4 port switches(10/100MBs) avilable now.Dont buy switch(or hub) and router seperately. "Too late now as i already purchased router and switch separately (based on agnivo suggestion and i am still very very thankful to him)...but thanks for the info and link anyways man...ya the later part of sharing will explore tommorow but u know what just for ur info;i have taken cable in machine 1 and if i try to put cable in machine 2 it says "you are not allowed to login from this IP"SO will see whether what u say is viable or not...as he has given a very specfic ipaddress; subnet mask; default gateway and dns values (i do not understand what all these means) which has to be put in TCP/IP of machine 1 to access internet...Will report after doing what u said..............thanks 😛 😛 😛

Originally posted by sunandoghosh@May 28 2005, 09:39 PM
Too late now as i already purchased router and switch separately (based on agnivo suggestion and i am still very very thankful to him)...but thanks for the info and link anyways man...

Buying them seperate is fine as well. Much easier to manage, if it is a comined unit. At least less cables to deal with 🙂

as he has given a very specfic ipaddress; subnet mask; default gateway and dns values (i do not understand what all these means) which has to be put in TCP/IP of machine 1 to access internet...[/b]

Good. Most likely you have a static IP address. Put all of that in your router. Will work just fine.

".... or your username/pwd in Static IP, if your ISP gives you one."

-
Static IP -- IP address will always be fixed and is your network ID.

subnet mask -- indicates the relevant bits in your network ID and is used by your ISP for sub-netting its network. (dont bother about it).

DNS--domain name server ie takes the URL you type in and converts into IP address numbers

Default Gateway -- ip address of device through which all external traffic passes. your LAN's default gateway(to the net) is your router. Your router in turn will become part of your cable wallah's network.

Similarly all his traffic to the net has to pass thru his router, the default gateway. That IP address, is what he would have given you.

Buying them seperate is fine as well. Much easier to manage, if it is a comined unit. At least less cables to deal with 🙂 [/b]

very very true....

(only self satisfaction which i can now have is that having two separate devices ensures if one is not working; replacement / repurchase / repair is more easy)

thanks for clarifying those concepts...will get back soon (as now in office...stupid job...cannot leave though)

trust me every job is stupid 🙂 i know. have been in 3 of them. 😛

Originally posted by Sushubh@May 29 2005, 08:52 PM
trust me every job is stupid 🙂 i know. have been in 3 of them. 😛
[snapback]10497[/snapback]
[/quote]

what i always want in life:

1. a small AC room
2. a computer with internet (24 hrs)
3. ready food available
4. no need to work

🙁 🙁 🙁

i am quite close to that... 😛 i work from an AC room with net available 24x7 and we got a cook around here. but i do have to work. 😉

But having no work is frustrating...And mohit, I would suggest u to surrender the cablewallah connection once the dataone connection is up and running.I'm saying this because as u are a newbie, switching between dataone and cablewallah would not be as easy. The DSL-502T is a combination od ADSL Modem and Router. So u cannot use it as a normal broadband router to share the cablewallah connection! Drop the cablewallah at all costs. He has given a static IP and switching between these 2 connections would need change of configuration which would lead u into more trouble.