Buying new Desktop - Give your suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter Andro
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 4,181
The device will be for general use not for gaming. Currently using old lenovo model since 2006, no problems/damages till now. Its clear lenovo models are good with good quality hardware. Found an nice model with good configuration on Dell site. So thinking of that model, but lenovo also in my choice(If i find any good model can go with that).
This one is my choice: http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-660s/pd?oc=w240411in8&model_id=inspiron-660s#TechSpec
It will be good and future proof?
Please add your inputs.

Honeslty these branded products are a total waste of money. PM'd you.

May I know ur budget. Assembling PC is the best. All these branded stuff is not good.
If u can give ur budget I can give u a best config.

Was just checking Dell India website and they seem to have removed the XPS models ?? Any idea why ?? I bought the XPS one only 2 weeks back .. strange !!

gaurang08 yes, i too noticed that. someone suggested me xps model but when i browsed their website they have removed those models. in suggests they are showing alienware desktops. as i before told not buying for games, so going for inspiron one. found this model best. 🙂
rajnusker, sachin i have no doubt they are good as my cousin use that but branded one gives more cool look. 😉

^^I strongly feel ur not looking in depth to buy PC's
If u look technically assembled 1nce cost u less n more powerful than those whole single Branded PC's
Disadvantages
1)U should not open the cabinet, this will avoid warranty
2)If u want any components u must buy from that vendor only
3)They come with preloaded OS which is waste of money. In online u can get for still lesser price

Preloaded OS is a waste of money?
Compare the OEM price with the retail price of operating systems please.

@sachinbr - Dont tell me, you are suggesting getting OS through "other" sources...
or maybe he meant Linux...

here is the thing. i personally do not recommend anyone to buy a OS less machine from a branded manufacturer.
unless of course they want to run Linux on it or already own a retail version.
sure if you can manage it on your own, good for you. but for others? i do not want to end up being the IT guy to help them installing Windows and Office on their machines.

A bit offtopic, but just wanted input from someone who was clear with the info - I am likely to be upgrading a desktop (say almost buying the entire desktop expect monitor, printer is a possibility) within 3 to 6 months. So Windows 8 (bought in the upgrade offer over a retail version) & MS-Office, can they be uninstalled on the fly? Especially Win 8, will I face any issue - As I suspect the PC may crash at some point, not giving enough time to recover and uninstall, just calling MS & telling them to shift license of this PC be sufficient for them to allow me to activate?

As long as the older installation is not functional, you should not face any issues. You might need to get it manually activated by calling their regional call center. Which can be an annoying experience based on my own past dealings.
I really doubt uninstalling Windows 8 would send a message to Microsoft that you are freeing up your license 😀
I am not even sure if you can uninstall Windows 8 to go back to Windows 7.

Well, the other option would be to install the Windows 7 retail in the new machine & call up to get it activated (which I have done a few years ago, when I had to replace the motherboard, and they asked purcahser name, city and date, store of purchase etc ) & then install Win8 on top of that. But, since I installed Win8 after downloading and if they ask details, I am not sure if that would be suficient (online purchase date, and name) to activate that.
I am also confused what to retain & what not - as i have been upgrading this PC since 2004, and often had to compromise on compatibility to get parts which are not the latest to make it work with existing hardware - hence the thought of a complete ramp up. But then would hate to just store some of the old parts idle in some corner as would have spent some money on them as recently as 1-2 years ago.

chromaniac said:
Preloaded OS is a waste of money?
Compare the OEM price with the retail price of operating systems please.

It is better to assemble the system and buy a Windows license with the money saved because lot of these branded systems put crap components inside. Though the price difference is not much nowadays it is still worth it even if you have pay a bit more.