• Thread starter Thread starter Toocool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 2,216

Toocool

Addicts
ISP
airtel
My friend is going dubai for vacation.......... This week itself.......... So if I tell him to get a tab from there...... And he brings it opened...... Using it, will that tab be counted as an import???? Is 25000 rupees limit of import........ Applicable from dubai too??? And this limit is per person?? Or per family or something??? How can I know prices in dubai???

nobody ever gone to dubai....???? or know rules of import...???? guys please my friend is leaving in 2 days.....i have to tell him before he leaves.:hopelessness:

check the cbec website..i think the limit varies with the country..and if you are travelling with family ,limit is per family..rule is that the duty limited is not pooled

Rs 25K limit is applicable for person coming in India from any country at Airport. Its per person. No idea if the thing is opened (not packed/sealed) and used, then it comes under 25K limit.BTW I had worse experience at Mumbai Airport while returning from Dubai in 2005 (I was not aware of rules, was young and travelling for first time).I had brought Sony Music system fully packed in big box which costed around Rs 10K. 1 coolie approached me saying do you want to take it out. I thought 'out' means just helping me out, so I said yes. But he staringht took me to lady custom officer. She asked me how much was price. I said 10K. So she said I have to pay 30% custom duty of Rs 3000. I said I only have Rs 1500, so she said she would take away that box and seal it. I was afraid and asked her solution (my big mistake). She said pay Rs 1000 (BRIBE!). I agreed. Then she sent me with Hawaldar who took Rs 1000. But after seeing some extra cash in my wallet, asked extra Rs 50 saying I wont get anything from those Rs 1000 as it goes to higher officers. I gave him Rs 50. And WORST part is, almost at exit gate that same coolie again caught me asking for money. I said I didnt had any money. He said he can take foreign currency as well. So I gave some Dubai's coins (=Rs 24). So I was looted by Airport employees for around Rs 1100 for no reasons, as I had no other stuff with me 🙁I told this incident to my friends in Dubai, so they did setting in advance with their friends working at Airport to get thing 'out' easily 😀After 2 years, while I was returning from London (now I had lots of travelling experience at Airport), I had 1 watch in my bag, which custom officer saw while scanning. He asked me about watch cost. I (in angry look and tone) said its 10 Pounds. He said means how mauch. I said no idea, go to exchange and ask them (in angry tone). He then asked just 1 watch. I said then what you expect, I should get dozen! and left from there.So be careful at Airport from staff working there.(Sorry for long post, but couldn't resist to mention those incidents)

25000 limit will be if his stay abroad is more than 3 days, otherwise it is 12000. The limit is per person but you cannot club together more than one person's limit to make it more and claim duty free on single or multiple items.

i thought dubai was famous for their duty free shops where stuff sells for much cheaper because of no taxation.

ya....but this online site is telling me otherwise...........but how to really know and confirm...????

Mobile prices in Duty Free area at Dubai Airport is more costly than in India. Pretty much the same scene in city.It was cheaper probably a decade back when we had very high custom duties. Now it's only 2.3%.

right. applies on the US market too. unlocked devices are probably as expensive in USA as in India. iPhone is an exception of course.

thats why the grey market in india (mobiles ) is almost gone, last several devices of mine are all bill purchased, but first several handsets were all grey markets purchased.

Dubai hasn't been a VFM spot for quite a few years now... Btw if u want you can use the tablet to take some personal pics & also make some calendar entries... But the thing is if u have the box with you the customs officer will point out that it was purchased abroad... Some ppl ship the box by courier or just leave it there itself... But before you go through all this trouble of importing it here make sure it is significantly cheaper over there... PS the custom free shops at the airport are much much more costly than the shops on the streets... But make sure ur friend knows how to bargain...