Business Email Services

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 2,461
There are a LOT of issues with it. First, hosting is not really cheap if you are looking for multiple 100GB+ inboxes. Sure you might find a hard disk based hosting that might be cheap enough but it is still not going to be cheap. Second, the open source webmail panels are mostly shite. I doubt Roundcube has improved magically since the time I used it many years ago. Thirdly, keeping the IP clean and ensuring that SPF/DMARC/Etc are properly implemented over a longer period of time brings its headaches. With dedicated email services, there is very little chance that your mails would end up in spam boxes of important business associates and clients. Plus the uptime on these services is excellent compared to a reasonably priced host that might offer 500GB+ storage space at a reasonable price. Email management is just too much work. I had friend who was part of the team responsible for managing email for a big IT company and it was a very well paid job even in early 2000s. And the stories he had to tell about the shit he had to go through on a daily basis? Heh. Things might be better for a small business but it is just not worth the hassle to do it yourself. I do not want to be stuck with keeping an eye on the server, keeping it updated, ensuring the uptime for my cousin's business.

There is a good reason why startups end up using Google WorkSpace or similar solutions. It just takes away a lot of hassles of server management for a pretty low price. Also the reason why I do not use domain based emails. Just stayed with Gmail after all these years and ended up discarding my own domains. Too much effort. Unless you have a real good reason to do it.

Last edited:
Security is a very big issue for self hosting server.

yeah. i have postfix on this server and i want to get rid of it because sometimes i get weird mails that sort of indicate that postfix is being used by an outside party to send spam or something. cloudflare would soon have a service that would take care of that for me (email forwarding service).

Microsoft has a plan addon which when used upgrades the mailbox. Yes, cloud services spam system is hassle free. your inboxes are well updated due to their huge database and multiple machine learning models. Also ends up in client inbox.

For Apple users, icloud+ service can be an option. it can be shared with five family members and upto five domains. Its a good option for personal users and considering apple one bundled plans are available for 195 for 50GB and 365 for 200GB with other apple services like apple music, tv and arcade.