Bsnl Vendor Refusing to make changes to OLT

• Thread starter Thread starter Conor
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,360
ISP
BSNL Bharat Fiber
I have a Syrotech 1GE onu(zte based chipset), which requires onu to be tagged from OLT.The Vendor is refusing to make any changes to OLT.
Will a router supporting vlan tag work with transparent pon mode? or should I buy a new ONT with pure bridge mode?
What would be a better option?

What is tagging from OLT ?

Why would Vender tag your packets?
Tag them with your ONT or your router.
Usually,VLAN tag setting in ONT do not persist on reboot,but you should check with your ONT.
I suggest to use ONT to tag packets as it will reduce load on the router.
Bridge mode is transparent pon mode. ONT act as dumb media converter.

Why would Vender tag your packets?
Tag them with your ONT or your router.
Usually,VLAN tag setting in ONT do not persist on reboot,but you should check with your ONT.
I suggest to use ONT to tag packets as it will reduce load on the router.
Bridge mode is transparent pon mode. ONT act as dumb media converter.
I have asked the Vendor to Tag ONU, from OLT side, so that it reflects back in interface of ONU, but he seems unaware of the procedure and doesnt view this as a problem (double NAT), although we had a talk with a Syrotech engineer who also suggested him to tag ONU from OLT, but he has n Idea of tagging procedure, and he is refraining from making changes to OLT. He says that he requires permission from NOC to make changes to OLT, nor providing any solution for this issue (double NAT). I require internet to secure VPN tunnel to company premises.

Changing Mode to Tag to bridge the ONU
Reverting back to Transparent Mode after reboot or when PON reinserted

AFAIK and even in my ONU,there is an option to tag each packet with vlan. And i can configure it. Why even bother with the vendor when you can configure it.
Search for it in the web panel and configure it as your ONT is in bridge mode.
Can you provide tour ONU model?

I have same ONU,just sharp branded.This issue exists. Try contacting Syrotech and complain about it as vlan tagging should stick.
Just as a suggestion,stop rebooting the ONU as it is acting in bridge mode. Just reboot your router.
The vendor are known to be stubborn and their lack of technical knowledge may result in them not doing the best for you.
I suggest not relying on the vendor or ask for another ONT which persist vlan tagging on reboot.

But the vlan settings stay if the pon cable is not inserted, with pon cable being not connected if I reboot the onu multiple times the settings remain the same.

It seems the Vendor is still too stubborn on tagging the ONT.

Currently I have a Tenda AC5,

To get the bridge mode working what would you suggest ?

1. Buying a ONT with proper bridge mode
2. Buying a Router which accepts vlan

Which of the above configuration will be bound to work? or they have some shortcomings?

I would suggest 1 as vlan tagging is cpu intensive.
I mean the processor have to tag each packet and for that,you cannot simply send the packets directly as done by NAT boost technology.
So,get an ONT with proper bridge mode with support for vlan tagging.