BSNL smtp server blocked for spam for last 5 days

ISP
BSNL DataOne
I use email in POP3/SMTP mode. From home, I use the dataone smtp server (smra.dataone.in) as my outgoing mail server. Since last 5 days, my emails to some addresses have been bouncing, because those particular mailservers are blocking email from the Dataone mail server because it is blacklisted in SPAMHAUS.ORG. I am pasting the link below for others to verify.This problem routlinely crops us for any mailserver that has a user who (either consciously or because of a virus) is spewing spam mail in large quantities. Websites like SPAMHAUS monitor all mail servers and blacklist such spam-spewing mail servers. The solution is for the mailserver admin to trap the rogue user and disconnect/block that user. Then SPAMHAUS unlists the mail server after 24 hours.I have tried called BSNL and explaining the problem to them. Apart from the huge wait to get anybody to answer my call itself, the technical support guys know nothing about this problem, nor are they able to refer me to anyone senior. Do folks have any suggestions? Any contacts within BSNL? Surely you have experienced similar problems, or are experiencing them now?Sharad

get gmail.. its free.. its good..

Dear Nightwolf:The reason why I use Dataone's smtp server is because it enables me to switch seamlessly from my office to my home without changing my email ID (which is my office ID). What I do is that I set my POP3 server to my office mail server, and only switch the smtp server to smra.dataone.in when I come home. BSNL is the only ISP which does not insist on my email ID setting in my email client to be the same as my Dataone email id. It allows me to send outgoing msgs using its SMTP server while showing my email ID to be my office ID. As a result, the email recipients don't get confused: they only see my office email ID.Hope this clarifies why I have this configuration. Sharad

have u tried sending mails from ur dataone id using gmail's smtp servers? thunderbird i think uses a single smtp server for all outgoing mails.

Dear Nightwolf:

The reason why I use Dataone's smtp server is because it enables me to switch seamlessly from my office to my home without changing my email ID (which is my office ID). What I do is that I set my POP3 server to my office mail server, and only switch the smtp server to smra.dataone.in when I come home. BSNL is the only ISP which does not insist on my email ID setting in my email client to be the same as my Dataone email id. It allows me to send outgoing msgs using its SMTP server while showing my email ID to be my office ID. As a result, the email recipients don't get confused: they only see my office email ID.

Hope this clarifies why I have this configuration.

Sharad
Wow will try that with mtnl !!! Thanks..

lol thats the reason its blacklisted.

A reply to Sushubh's point about using gmail's smtp server.

Yes, this works, and this has been my fallback option when BSNL gets blocked.

The problem with this option for someone like me is that gmail insists on my changing my email ID to XXXX.gmail.com in the Identity setting. So my emails go out with my gmail ID... As I mentioned earlier, I am rather hung up on showing only my office email ID to all my email recipients all the time. Hence I don't prefer this smtp.googlemail.com option.

I am trying to see whether changing my outgoing smtp server from smra.dataone.in to wmra.dataone.in or mmra.dataone.in might help.

btw, I noticed that I had forgotten to paste the spamblock link in my original email for folks to check out. Here it is:

The Spamhaus Project - Security

Sharad

sharad, what you are doing is wrong. thats the reason your email is being bounced.

see, when you try to send your email as someguy@office.com or someguy@home.com, then the server which is sending your email should be smtp.office.com or smtp.home.com respectively. If its not, then your emails will definitely bounce. Spam filters will reject email coming from home.com but has the from address as someguy@office.com cuz home.com is NOT authorized to send emails other than those ending with home.com

gmail has option to set allowable from addresses.. use that.

Response to Max: What i am doing is quite legitimate, because my outgoing email is authenticated by the smtp server (it asks for password for my dataone email ID). Please note that no receiving mail server rejects this kind of email (which shows my id as XXX@office.com but is being sent frrom XXZZ@home.com). The problem I am flagging is a temporary one associated with dataone servers being blacklisted. (FYI: this problem has now gone away a day or so after I posted the original email here).

Response to Amish: Yes, eventually one may have to do that.

But nobody seems to be responding to my original query: how does one get BSNL to respond to the problem, block the spams going out from their mail server, and thereby get off the blacklist in spamhaus.org

or is it that BSNL Tech Support is so bad that folks have simply given up on getting them to fix things?!!!

u cant do anythign abt blacklisting. even if u manage to get it de-listed and spam is still originating, it wud be relisted within hours.max bsnl can do is block that user id.

But nobody seems to be responding to my original query.......

or is it that BSNL Tech Support is so bad that folks have simply given up on getting them to fix things?!!!

You hit the nail on its head with that......
Thats why everybody is trying to suggest workarounds.

Here is mine [Not free]....

1. Buy a hosting package from dirt cheap ISPs will not cost more then 1000 Rs per year.
2. Do NOT use GMail's custom sender id feature, if you are sending mails for business. That's because it sends "On Behalf Of" your GMail id not actually as your custom ID.

PM me if you need help with option 1.

ORget static ip. install linux or get local smtp server and send via it.

That will increase chances of mail being marked as spam. Thats because if an email originates at "consumer" IP pool, its spam score is elevated.

Hallo all,I am unable to use my dataone mailbox. Whenever I tried to access it, it shows error "invalid username or password". Resultingly I an unable to open up my mail, although I dont remember changing it. My request to dataone.in to reset my password has yielded no result. How to set this problem right?Rahul