BSNL, MTNL may slash broadband tariffs

• Thread starter Thread starter Suraj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 6,827
The 'One India' plan, proposed by Communications and IT minister Dayanidhi Maran, intends to introduce a uniform tariff for all domestic calls in the country regardless of the distance.

On June 14, 2005, Maran has announced the ministry's intention of rolling out the plan. The losses will be incurred over a year from the date of implementation of the plan and is likely to continue till other measures are in place, sources in BSNL said, quoting a letter sent to the department of telecommunications.BSNL was also of the opinion that increasing local call rates, which are being billed at 80 paise a minute for local call up to 50 km, was an option to mitigate the revenue shortfall. STD charges vary between Re 1 and Rs 2.65 a minute, depending on the service provider. The public sector unit has shot off a letter to DoT, after assessing the situation and pegging the total hit to revenues at Rs 1,200 crore.Earlier, commenting on the announcement, BSNL chairman and managing director A K Sinha had said the plan would be beneficial to customers, even though it would be affecting public sector unit's revenues."The given scenario of licensing and being the domestic long distance carrier, BSNL depends much on its long distance revenues. The plan will hit the company's revenues," he said in Delhi. The Centre had addressed intra-state disparity in telephone tariffs, with DoT announcing that calls between metros and state capitals would be treated as local calls.The scheme was also rolled out between Chennai and rest of Tamil Nadu, Kolkata and rest of West Bengal and Mumbai and rest of Maharashtra and between western and eastern Uttar Pradesh.seems something dicy to me :huh:

Just saw it on Aawaz as well..that MTNL and BSNL reducing tariff by 40-50%...lets hope they do it quickly 🙂

OMG OMG OMG woohooI bet they will slash prices by 40-50% and also "slash" download limits as well - in the wrong direction heheBut I hope it's true... I can then finally think about getting a 1 mbps/10GB connection for under Rs 2000/- per month woohoo

Originally posted by abdulrahman004@Aug 2 2005, 11:46 PM
Hope the implementation takes palce immediately...guess they shall announce the new tarrifs on the independance day.....
[snapback]19682[/snapback]
[/quote]

in 1947 india got freedom from the british and now we can get freedon for data caps 😛

Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 3 2005, 02:11 AM
But I hope it's true... I can then finally think about getting a 1 mbps/10GB  connection for under Rs 2000/- per month woohoo
[snapback]19708[/snapback]
[/quote]So what exactly will u do with your 1 mbps line then?
10 GB downstream is a figure you'll hit in hardly ONE DAY.

yes..DSL NU is turning me into a bat 😛 ...have to use opera in cached mode as well during daytime...hoping atleast the free time will be increased by MTNL...

hehe yep prathapml, you can do 10 gb in one day with 1 mbps.... but if I can do that... then I can die happy... like R.I.P.i guess we'll need to wait for competition in the market to improve the packages.but what competition will there be?... its either the stone-age govt ISP (vsnl/bsnl/mtnl) or other ISPs run by greedy gujju businessmen... ambanis are gujjus, right? what about tatas and whatsisname who runs bharti tele? sindhis? hehe