BSNL FTTH Pune users

• Thread starter Thread starter abhi9822&
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 11,530
Wow, that's an interesting problem and solution! 😀 Good to know that it's resolved, it would be interesting to see how it would behave with the new ONU that you ordered.

Usually the MAC binding is on BSNL's side with their PPP authentication server, looks like that isn't there in your case. For me switching to bridged mode needed BSNL to reset the MAC binding so that it works with the new WAN side MAC address. (This is the MAC address which shows up in the self care portal usage reports)

If it worked without entering any VLAN IDs etc on the ONT site, I guess it supports working as a transparent bridge. In mine, I need to explicitly define WAN interfaces with the VLAN IDs that I need bridged, although I never tried the technique of removing all WAN interfaces, something to keep in mind! 😉

@varkey no Mac binding is required for our customers just unique vlan

it would be interesting to see how it would behave with the new ONU that you ordered.

Got the new "ElectroLine" branded ONU couple of hours ago. Same problem 😀 This ONU also has exactly same looking web UI as the other two (Digisol and OptiLink) and also ZTE based chipset I guess which has buggy firmware.

Thankfully there appears to be no MAC whitelisting at the OLT (new ONU just worked) and the bridge mode works for now, fingers crossed.

🤔 I'm curious now, how did it work all these days? The config on your side remained the same right but the number of disconnects were definitely much less earlier but has now increased now to a point it's crashing very frequently. And the issue can be reproduced on multiple devices running the same underlying firmware and hardware.

Perhaps, there was an upgrade or change on BSNLs PPP authentication server and post upgrade, possible bug in the PPP client on these ONTs is causing issues? 🤔

Yeah it's hard to narrow down the root cause of this issue but I still suspect NAT module being buggy. I wish there was a log on the ONU to view that might have helped.

If it is PPP client issue then why is it stable with single PC connected directly to the ONU? 🤷‍♂️

One thing I didnt mention is that my fiber was cut/down in my area for 12 days before LCO guy repaired it then soon after that the issue started to happen frequently, so not sure if that is a factor or just a coincidence.

But then again, the main clue in this mystery is the ONUs are stable with only single PC connected but rebooting as soon as multiple devices are connected via router.

Note that even when router was connected but with only single PC via ethernet (wifi radios disabled) then again it was stable, so it's not like router sending weird ethernet signal/power level to the ONU causing reboot.

I had even tried an old Belkin N150 wifi router (many years old) then also ONU was rebooting.

BTW @varkey any clues to get to look at logs on the ONU? I tried telnet to it, it only accepts root username but tried various standard passwords it does not log in. Any default passwords you suggest for this firmware/hardware?

🤔 I'm curious now, how did it work all these days?

Please check the launch status of Jio Gigafiber in your area. If it is imminent.... you know why....

Ok, so several months after requesting BSNL FTTH a BSNL person or possibly LCO announced its availability at my residence in Pune. I found the plans rather expensive compared to what pvt. operators offer including Tata Sky BB, Airtel V fiber and You BB.

The biggest question in my mind - is BSNL FTTH reliable and keeping in mind Jio Gigafiber's launch next month shall I wait to see how things pan out? I expect there will be a sharp drop in plan prices across the industry once JG is live.

So my connection went down (fiber link is OK) around 830pm today and is still not connecting - anyone else in Pune facing issue - or is it just me or my exchange?

Wow, that's an interesting problem and solution! 😀 Good to know that it's resolved, it would be interesting to see how it would behave with the new ONU that you ordered.

Usually the MAC binding is on BSNL's side with their PPP authentication server, looks like that isn't there in your case. For me switching to bridged mode needed BSNL to reset the MAC binding so that it works with the new WAN side MAC address. (This is the MAC address which shows up in the self care portal usage reports)

If it worked without entering any VLAN IDs etc on the ONT site, I guess it supports working as a transparent bridge. In mine, I need to explicitly define WAN interfaces with the VLAN IDs that I need bridged, although I never tried the technique of removing all WAN interfaces, something to keep in mind! 😉

I have been using my optilink ONU in bridged mode for a couple of months now. No MAC resetting was required. Moreover, I am using a simple PPPoE connection on my Router without having to define a VLAN ID. It is indeed working as a transparent bridge.

@vishalrao Do you happen to know the telnet password of your ZTE based ONTs? I login with the user admin, but that is not a valid telnet user apparently.

Code:
varkey@Viveks-MacBook-Air ~ % telnet 192.168.3.1
Trying 192.168.3.1...
Connected to 192.168.3.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
D401
Login: admin
User name is incorrect
Login: root
Password:
Password is incorrect
Password:

@varkey nope I have no idea, even I was trying to login some time back but could not figure out the user/password.

Got the new "ElectroLine" branded ONU couple of hours ago. Same problem 😀 This ONU also has exactly same looking web UI as the other two (Digisol and OptiLink) and also ZTE based chipset I guess which has buggy firmware.

Thankfully there appears to be no MAC whitelisting at the OLT (new ONU just worked) and the bridge mode works for now, fingers crossed.

Bro can you let me know the default username and password for Electroline ONU Router login

Is it setup by LCO alreeady? if yes then you have to do a factory reset. Be Warned you will lose your connection profile configuration.

Best Way is to pester your LCO