BSNL FTTH Pune users

ijsa

Regular
Regulars
🤔 I'm curious now, how did it work all these days?
Please check the launch status of Jio Gigafiber in your area. If it is imminent.... you know why....

C3PO

Regulars
Ok, so several months after requesting BSNL FTTH a BSNL person or possibly LCO announced its availability at my residence in Pune. I found the plans rather expensive compared to what pvt. operators offer including Tata Sky BB, Airtel V fiber and You BB.

The biggest question in my mind - is BSNL FTTH reliable and keeping in mind Jio Gigafiber's launch next month shall I wait to see how things pan out? I expect there will be a sharp drop in plan prices across the industry once JG is live.

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
So my connection went down (fiber link is OK) around 830pm today and is still not connecting - anyone else in Pune facing issue - or is it just me or my exchange?

f3rmion

Wow, that's an interesting problem and solution! :D Good to know that it's resolved, it would be interesting to see how it would behave with the new ONU that you ordered.

Usually the MAC binding is on BSNL's side with their PPP authentication server, looks like that isn't there in your case. For me switching to bridged mode needed BSNL to reset the MAC binding so that it works with the new WAN side MAC address. (This is the MAC address which shows up in the self care portal usage reports)

If it worked without entering any VLAN IDs etc on the ONT site, I guess it supports working as a transparent bridge. In mine, I need to explicitly define WAN interfaces with the VLAN IDs that I need bridged, although I never tried the technique of removing all WAN interfaces, something to keep in mind! ;)
I have been using my optilink ONU in bridged mode for a couple of months now. No MAC resetting was required. Moreover, I am using a simple PPPoE connection on my Router without having to define a VLAN ID. It is indeed working as a transparent bridge.