BSNL FTTH LCO charging 4500 for new connection :(

• Thread starter Thread starter partymonger
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 145
  • Views Views 25,861
@pothi
1. If it's in bridge mode, IP stack is handled by the router.
2. No need to even maintain the firmware for bridge mode purposes, what can an attacker do to a media converter? It's not online.
3. I too wish it was possible on stock firmware to do that via the bridged interface.
4. Isn't that something we know first hand when getting the installation though?

1. I wasn't aware of it. I can confirm it only when BSNL enables ipv6 on my end. Currently, there is an option to choose the IP stack under bridge mode in ONU

2. I let ONU to be used as a router temporarily such as now. So, I usually want to make sure the firmware is latest.

4. Of course. But, I forgot the info (me getting old?!). Also, I wasn't aware of the diff between those two technologies when fiber is deployed initially. 😁😁😁

@pothi 1. Yes, of course, it's there, your ONT isn't a pure ONT, it's a home gateway after all. Anyway, everything is handled by the router in bridge mode.
2. Yeah, for router purposes firmware matter.
4. I see.

I paid Rs.6300 for the same.. 2500 for Device + 777rs for plan and rest for Fiber Cable as it was around 300Mtr away from my home. (LCo)

To get access to the ONU interface, I tried to connect the second lan port to the router. Didn't work.

Then I was just working with Tomato interface and just below bridge mode it has setting for "Route to modem" open and you had to mention the router IP. so just putting the IP there I am now able to access the router very easily all over. Did not need to add a route myself.

^ Ah, good that it gives an option directly, that would make it easy. It's similar to the alias interface option I mentioned earlier and this option avoids the clutter of an extra interface as well.

Last edited:
I recently got bsnl ftth with 499+18%gst plan with 40Mbps speed upto 300gb and initial charges were 3750 (3000 rs. for router,250rs installation,500rs plan security).

@Jiharsh - Can you tell me which plan is this? I cant seem to find it.

Circle specific plan, it's there in Kolkata, not sure about others.

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 6.03.25 PM.webp

The armoured two pair cable i got costed me 7 rs per meter...thus for 200 meter,it cost me 1400 rs.
Please check your distance.