BSNL FTTH LCO charging 4500 for new connection :(

• Thread starter Thread starter partymonger
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 145
  • Views Views 25,869
ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hi guys, I was directed by bsnl to a local LCO (UCN cable guys) who are providing BSNL FTTH in our area. When I enquired, he said we charged 4500 for new connection. Which is a bomb considering their junction is a few 100 mts away and that BSNL itself has waved off installation fees.

Any idea what I can do in this situation?

That's probably including the ONT. Ask for a breakup and maybe procure the ONT yourself.

Also, not sure if this is the case in other states, but in Kerala at least for me, I didn't pay any amount in advance to BSNL, all security deposit or other charges were added to the first bill.

Things have changed and keep changing in BSNL. Recently, BSNL TamilNadu circle started charging installation charges for all new customers (of telephone, BB, FTTH). For over 5 years, the installation charges were nil, though. Also, for every plan change, we have to pay "advance rental" too. Since, BSNL is the only operator in many places, they start to charge more. Please make sure you are actually getting bills for the payments.

Most likely it includes one month advance rental, ONT (modem) as well. Please ask for details.
That's paid to bsnl not to the LCO.. Maybe Sometimes the LCO might be paying on his behalf but that rarely includes first month payment. And yes if you do have a bsnl adsl or even just Landline line before , there is a good chance that there might be some deposits left on the bill. Ask the bsnl office in your town to reduce the amount from the advance that you have paid. That way you can avoid paying any extra charges to bsnl's side. 😊👍

Tell him you already have an ont. The Netlink one is around 1.8k( wifi+rjport) when I bought.i guess the breakup would be as follows - 2k for installation and 2k for the ont.
If it's just a normal ont without wifi,then the price won't be justified.
The only way you can get the best deal is if u have an adsl line. Then u could take some price from bsnl's first payment.

You can waive off the deposit if you were using a connection already.

Last edited:
BSNL's deposit isn't much, just one month rental right and that isn't really bad, cause it's truly post-paid. However for other operators like Spectra or Excitel or Act etc, its in a way prepaid. So it is pretty much the same.

It includes ONT. Not willing to give breakup. Says 4.5k flat. All BSNL deposit etc will come in first bill afaik. He's not paying any of that.

Sadly can't do anything, maybe you can try talking to BSNL that the LCO is charging too much, but wouldn't be much helpful. And I'm pretty sure he'd be overcharging on the ONT.

As @Ameen said, maybe try to convince the LCO that you are only looking for a basic ONT that would be connected to your existing equipment.

Yes, ive said that. Not budging. The ont has telephone and wifi. It should be around 1500. They sell for 3500.

Does BSNL return the deposit? Like my current broadband plan is 900, if i move that to 250 plan, will they return the deposit they took for that?

Yes, ive said that. Not budging. The ont has telephone and wifi. It should be around 1500. They sell for 3500.

Does BSNL return the deposit? Like my current broadband plan is 900, if i move that to 250 plan, will they return the deposit they took for that?

Bsnl deposits can only be understood be enquiring at the regional office. They will let you know the amount. If not asked, they won't tell you.

Deposits keep changing when you change the plan and as well as the when you took the plan for the first time. Ftth customers will be having same account when upgrading from the adsl. You need to make sure that happens and not to a new account.

Say for example all your deposits are piled upto 1.2k₹(this did happen to me).
When the new ftth bill is billed the deposit charge of 749 (my base plan) +891 (the new bill with gst).
So the total amount would be 1640-1200=400₹

If you don't, this amount will remain same as 1640.

This was the same problem with my lco. Since no one in my area applied for bsnl ftth and they don't get paid from bsnl properly even after installation. So they do ask high amount of installation charge