BSNL FTTH Bharat Fiber Broadband has problems after connecting to VPN

• Thread starter Thread starter sibidas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 39,163
ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my BSNL fiber connection. After connecting to my office VPN, I am not able to access internal or external sites. I am able to ping though. I have also raised concern with BSNL team. my office IT team is telling it is a problem with the router that is shipped with BSNL connection. But I have not gotten any confirmation from bsnl team. They asked for traceroute details, which I provided. Anybody else facing similar issues using vpn through BSNL?

@sibidas
dude same issue with me for the new connection received today.
can you help me with steps for bridge mode.on the Bsnl ONU modem I have ppoe and bridge options in drop down. Can I select the bridge and restart modem?
Does this works or still need to use PPOE option?

Upvote 0
@vu3knb thanks for the update.
@phaneendrakotha
1. Connect your other router wan port to bsnl router using rj45 cable.
2. In bsnl router, take a backup of config and note down the PPoE user and pass.
3. Switch connection to bridge mode. You need to enae the port binding option to the corresponding Ethernet port in bsnl router, to which you connected the other router.
4. Login to new router and setup a PPoE connection with the same credentials and connect. once connected, you are done. You can use new router for internet.
PS. In my case I noticed a drop in speed after switching to bridge mode. I also changed the DHCP address range in new router so a different one (192.168.2.x) , so that it will not conflict with BSNL one.

Upvote 0
@Rajdeep weird. My other router is able to handle speed of more than 100Mbps duplex. When I connect it as a repeater, I am getting around 60Mbpd in non peak hours, which is good. But once in bridge mode, my speed is hovering around 5Mbps

Upvote 0
@sibidas can you elaborate little bit on the below line.

You need to enae the port binding option to the corresponding Ethernet port in bsnl router, to which you connected the other router.
is it erase or enable, if so where exactly this has to be done in bsnl router?
PortBinding ModeBIndingVLANChange
LAN1Binding Ports
edit.gif
LAN2Binding Ports
edit.gif
SSID1Binding Ports
edit.gif

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my BSNL fiber connection. After connecting to my office VPN, I am not able to access internal or external sites. I am able to ping though. I have also raised concern with BSNL team. my office IT team is telling it is a problem with the router that is shipped with BSNL connection. But I have not gotten any confirmation from bsnl team. They asked for traceroute details, which I provided. Anybody else facing similar issues using vpn through BSNL?
I am facing the same issue with BSNL FTTH when connecting to global protect VPN. My company IT team traced all the routes and find no issues.
@sibidas : You solved the issues by configuring the BSNL router(Netlink) in bridge mode and connected Tenda modem with LAN cable . right ?
and Configured the tenda modem in ppoe mode. ?

Can you detail the steps if i miss something ...
Instead changing the BSNL router itself will work ?

---- My issue got resolved with Modem firmware update from Netlink!!---------------

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi All,

I am facing the same issue when I try to connect to my company global Protect VPN. I am able to ping the device but internet is not working. I am uanble to take the remote of the device that I am able to ping.
I am not aware of networking jargons. If this issue is resolved can you please provide me the steps in simple language.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am facing the same issue with BSNL FTTH when connecting to global protect VPN. My company IT team traced all the routes and find no issues.
@sibidas : You solved the issues by configuring the BSNL router(Netlink) in bridge mode and connected Tenda modem with LAN cable . right ?
and Configured the tenda modem in ppoe mode. ?

Can you detail the steps if i miss something ...
Instead changing the BSNL router itself will work ?

---- My issue got resolved with Modem firmware update from Netlink!!---------------
Hi,
I am troubled with the same issue. Could connect to Global protect effortlessly but relevant pages are not opening but is working fine with Mobile 4G. Plz share how to resolve this.
Thanks

Upvote 0
@vu3knb Changed mtu to 1490. But issue persisted. On a side note, I was able to configure ONU in bridge mode (you were right. no MAC binding). I am now using my Tenda router and it is working fine. Surprisingly, now there is no VPN issue. After connecting to VPN, all sites are opening fine. So it was indeed a problem with bsnl installed router. But not sure, what setting exactly is causing this. Thanks for all the help.
I am getting the same issue like you have mentioned. Vpn (global protect)gets connected without an issue but the relevant oages are not opening. Does buying a new router only helps?

Upvote 0