BSNL FTTH Bharat Fiber Broadband has problems after connecting to VPN

• Thread starter Thread starter sibidas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 39,164
ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my BSNL fiber connection. After connecting to my office VPN, I am not able to access internal or external sites. I am able to ping though. I have also raised concern with BSNL team. my office IT team is telling it is a problem with the router that is shipped with BSNL connection. But I have not gotten any confirmation from bsnl team. They asked for traceroute details, which I provided. Anybody else facing similar issues using vpn through BSNL?

This is true,

To add on these are the steps i did to correct my issue with Global VPN & BSNL FTTH issues.

Modem: optilink op-xont 71110n

1. Firmware update to modem: This doesn't make sense much, Especially when the same modem was working for a different ISP but was only having with BSNL FTTH. I still don't know how but updating firmware is definitely the first step to do.

2. MTU Setting: There are 2 sections to this
a. MTU Setting in Modem:
For me my setting has been 1492. I tried playing around with the modem and i did not see any difference if i kept it 1300 or 1430 or 1492. The VPN still used to have issues whatever the MTU setting i was keeping in the modem.
When i tried researching about this, I was able to understand that higher the MTU means higher the speed, So i have it at 1492 now.

b. MTU Setting in system:
This was the game changer for me, After firmware update VPN connectivity was there but was spotty meaning it used to get disconnected almost 30 - 40 mins especially when I was loading something heavy from VPN. That is when i found out that there is a MTU setting for the network in our system. So setting the MTU setting for the VPN will help.

For windows 10 machines this is what I did, Run the below command after opening cmd prompt as administrator

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

This will list out the different adapter settings and the MTU size for the same.
My MTU settings where all set to 1500, and MTU setting for VPN was set to 1400. I set the VPN to 1300 using the below command

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet 3" mtu=1300 store=persistent

Voila! Suffered different problems for almost 2 months, Hope this helps to any new BSNL FTTH & VPN users. If this fixes the issue for you please respond to the thread with steps you followed for any other person.

After upgrading firmware of router 50% problem is solved, but company's internal URLs still not loading!!!! Please let me know if anything can be done about this...Thanks in advance

[Using Optilink OP-XONT71110N Router for BSNL FTTH]

Upvote 0
Now again problem started, nothing is opening now again,,,even after i updated firmware

Upvote 0
This is true,

To add on these are the steps i did to correct my issue with Global VPN & BSNL FTTH issues.

1. Firmware update to modem: This doesn't make sense much, Especially when the same modem was working for a different ISP but was only having with BSNL FTTH. I still don't know how but updating firmware is definitely the first step to do.

a. MTU Setting in Modem:
For me my setting has been 1492. I tried playing around with the modem and i did not see any difference if i kept it 1300 or 1430 or 1492. The VPN still used to have issues whatever the MTU setting i was keeping in the modem.
When i tried researching about this, I was able to understand that higher the MTU means higher the speed, So i have it at 1492 now.

This was the game changer for me, After firmware update VPN connectivity was there but was spotty meaning it used to get disconnected almost 30 - 40 mins especially when I was loading something heavy from VPN. That is when i found out that there is a MTU setting for the network in our system. So setting the MTU setting for the VPN will help.

For windows 10 machines this is what I did, Run the below command after opening cmd prompt as administrator

This will list out the different adapter settings and the MTU size for the same.
My MTU settings where all set to 1500, and MTU setting for VPN was set to 1400. I set the VPN to 1300 using the below command

Voila! Suffered different problems for almost 2 months, Hope this helps to any new BSNL FTTH & VPN users. If this fixes the issue for you please respond to the thread with steps you followed for any other person.
Please send link of this firmware to be updated!!!

Upvote 0
Same issue with me too ... the internet speed is 15mbps from JIO hotspot over office VPN whereas 0.46 mbps speed is observed from BSNL WIFI(fiber),I'm just joined BSNL wifi since last 2months back and I'm facing the same issue from the day 1,but previously atleast it was working fine until 2pm after that the speed goes down to 0.46 mbps ,now since last 2days its not even working until 2pm as well,the issue observed only with office VPN.but JIO working fine with office VPN .So whats heck went wrong with BSNL wifi?
is BSNL doesnt have enough techie to get it managed the spike of sudden work from home requirements?

Note: Mobile and personal laptop its working fine but no use as I need wifi only for my office purpose.

if I found any other good service provider in my area which is Myladuthurai ,tamilnadu ,then i'll do a big pooja for BSNL wifi and throw it to the trash everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had similar issue, when connected to VPN i couldn't access the internal sites. Even different MTU values worked for me like @vu3knb quoted. for me it worked with 1460 though the BSNL guy asked me to use 1440 or 1458.

Upvote 0
Hi,
facing similar issue, getting request time for bsnl fiber nw, on all systems.
Can any one tell me is it issue from ISP?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Same issue with me too ... the internet speed is 15mbps from JIO hotspot over office VPN whereas 0.46 mbps speed is observed from BSNL WIFI(fiber),I'm just joined BSNL wifi since last 2months back and I'm facing the same issue from the day 1,but previously atleast it was working fine until 2pm after that the speed goes down to 0.46 mbps ,now since last 2days its not even working until 2pm as well,the issue observed only with office VPN.but JIO working fine with office VPN .So whats heck went wrong with BSNL wifi?
is BSNL doesnt have enough techie to get it managed the spike of sudden work from home requirements?

Note: Mobile and personal laptop its working fine but no use as I need wifi only for my office purpose.

if I found any other good service provider in my area which is Myladuthurai ,tamilnadu ,then i'll do a big pooja for BSNL wifi and throw it to the trash everything.

Did you get any good resolution for this, i am also facing same.

Upvote 0
This is true,

a. MTU Setting in Modem:

Hi All,

these steps are working
1. just change router mtu to 1492 or above (1460 should also be ok if 1492 is not supported)
2. change office vpn mtu from cmd (run as administrator) to 1300 from above step no. 2b

Upvote 0