BSNL FTTH Bharat Fiber Broadband has problems after connecting to VPN

• Thread starter Thread starter sibidas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 39,094
ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my BSNL fiber connection. After connecting to my office VPN, I am not able to access internal or external sites. I am able to ping though. I have also raised concern with BSNL team. my office IT team is telling it is a problem with the router that is shipped with BSNL connection. But I have not gotten any confirmation from bsnl team. They asked for traceroute details, which I provided. Anybody else facing similar issues using vpn through BSNL?

Do you have firewall setting in your fiber modem ont then set it to low or off.

Upvote 0
Yes I do. I tried by turning it low too. Still not working.

Upvote 0
I am facing a similiar issue. I am not able to connect to my Office openVPN running over port 7134 ( not sure if port is relevant here ) But iam able to connect to another openVpn located else where which is running on port 443.
The issue with the former is exactly like mentioned here
I am able to ping IP address and even domains, so does that mean resolving is working here ?
Trace route works fine.
But in the browser it just stays loading, or it says err_connection_reset or changed.. or some protocol error..
I am running C6 (with openwrt on it ) with Netlink in bridged mode.
DNS is 8.8.8.8.. i tried 1.1.1.1 too but the result were the same.
So is there any thing i need to do in openwrt to get this thing fixed.. @varkey ..any clue ?..
I tried opening adding exception rule for this port in router but that didnt solve anything.

Upvote 0
Try lowering the mtu to 1300 and try. I was troubleshooting a similar issue and noticed bsnl router was messing with pmtu discovery on the clients. even though the mtu test shows 1472 is a valid mtu for the modem it was acting up with the VPN tunnel.

Upvote 0
@swiftwind i see, Thanks for the input.. i tried values from 1300 to 1492, nothing seems to get the VPN working. 😇 .. Seriouslyconsidering keep my old bsnl broadband as backup, atleast i didnt have issues like this with that. I was assuming FTTH and BB goes through same series of firewalls and infra in their end.

One more query, when i messed up with MTU, i could get Connection reset issue in chrome very very frequently, its like i hit a webpage it returns connection reset -> then refreshes and shows me the content.. So is this the sign of low mtu value or high mtu value ?

Upvote 0
Mostly high mtu value. If you have a android tv and Netflix app on it, try testing the streaming. If you are having no issues with the stream it shows mtu is clear. Its a crude way to validate the issue as the android tv Netflix app is very sensitive to packet fragmentation

Upvote 1
I reduced the MTU and it seems to have fixed the connection reset issues and i had few docker containers running which seems to be fighting with my network somehow.. When i stopped them the issue reduced further. But VPN still remains the same.

But now i have found some interesting observations
I can connect to openvpn running on port 443
I cannot connect to openvpn running on port 7134
i can connect to openvpn running on port 7134 from same machine when its connected to different internet ( Just making sure my ubuntu is fine )
Now is the interesting part, i reverted back my Netlink to router mode and connected directly to it and i CAN connect to VPN..
So i guess something in my openwrt c6 wrong.. working on hunting that part now.

Upvote 0
@burrow i dunno if already suggested but if your C6 has firewall setting you set it to low or disabled? or maybe a PPTP/L2TP passthrough setting?

Upvote 0
@vishalrao I am running openwrt on C6. So far what i have did is in the firewall traffic rule, i created a new rule that allows traffic over PORT 7134 from wan to lan. Am i supposed to do anything else here ?.. I am not an expert in networking 🙂 just a beginner trying out stuffs
1602093266222.webp

Upvote 0
@burrow instead of "from wan to lan" try the opposite setting? "from lan to wan" for port 7134 ?

Upvote 0
Hi guys I am facing this issue too. When I am connected to global protect VPN some internal and external websites are not opening. The ont device I am using is of Syrotech. I am able to ping the server but not able to browse.Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am also facing the same issue. I had just changed from bsnl broadband to fiber one. I have played with different MTU size and it does not work. After taking a tcpdump (Dont know if that is relevent or not 🙂) could see the following
Code:
office_vpn.4501 > 192.168.1.102.62986: UDP, bad length 1444 > 1432
. Can someone please let me know if this can cause packet loss or something.
VPN client: global protect, modem: genexis platinum 4410. OS: MacOS 10.15.6

Upvote 0