BSNL Frequent Disconnection

ashishgoel123

ISP
BSNL
I am using BSNL 750 UL plan on XAVI 8821r+ Modem on winxp . Since last 10 Days the connection is not stable(Frequent Disconnections). The internet gets disconnected every 20-30 Seconds. The frequent disconnections takes place during 9AM-1PM and 5:30PM to 9:30PM (the peak hours of internet usage). Rest of the time I don't have any problem with the internet.The BSNL guys have checked the lines and say the lines are ok.Can anyone help me in this regareds. Please let me know if you need any more info.

@ashishgoelWelcome to Broadbandforum.inA very peculiar problem !Please give your modem details.Any additional electronic system/s active in your house ( like FAX Microwave ovenetc during this time )?Start RUN type cmd OK new pagetype ipconfig /allLike to check the lease time.In modem in WAn page check Idle time to be 0.

log on to your modem check SNR margin both downstream and upstream. if there is fluctuation
1. check for any loose joints in the copper pair coming from the exchange.
2. if using cordless instrument remove the line and power cable
3. remove parallel connections before splitter if any
4. if not using ADSL splitter use it
try these things, still problem exists mail me at harsha.n.prabhu@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply essbebe.

The Modem I am using is XAVI x8821r+.
There are no other equipments running.

FYI ....
----------------------------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-6E-1C-A1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:39:07 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 14, 2009 10:39:07 PM

PPP adapter dataone:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 117.195.160.93
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 117.195.160.93
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.146
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

----------

Hi Harsha,

Just checked the SNR and Attenuation. These values are usually stable..... But please let me know if these values are good. Let me know if you need any more details on this.

FYI... the SNR and Attenuation details
--------------------------------------
DSL Parameters and Status
Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN
Revision Number: E.37.4.9
Serial Number: 123456789abcdx
Local Tx Power: 11.4 dB
Remote Tx Power: 7.6 dB
Local Line Atten.: 2.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 1.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 20.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 18.5 dB
Self Test: Passed
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Profile: Main
Tx Line Rate: 512 Kbps
Rx Line Rate: 2048 Kbps
Framing Structure: Framing-3
Trellis Coding: Enable
Power Management Mode: L2, L3 Not Allowed

XAVI x8821r+In your modem go to the page where DNS selection is available.Enter 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222These are OpenDNS and most of us use these.( Will give BSNL DNS later. Not actually needed )Your set up SNR/ATTN etc very good. Feedback. It would be helpful, if you can post the screen shot of the Device menu page showing the menu options in the left. Upload at tinypic.com and give the link here.Google/Yahoo search No useful reference available. Or during disconnection, just extract details of the fault shown in the modem log. Compare when you were connected. Dont Post the full page. if too long. .Pinpoint the fault entries and post here.

Hi essbebe,

I have entered the primary and secondary DNS given by you

The main page of the Modem is placed in the following path.
http://i27.tinypic.com/r8icyr.jpg

Sure will follow you suggestion regarding the post from now on.

One more question, out of my curiosity, What is the advantage of using the DNS from you post.

There can be two reasons for disconnections:1) Telephone are connected before the "splitter".2) Too many joints in the line copper wire.I suggest you disconnect all telephones in the house and see if that solves your problems.

Hi sachin,I tried completly removing the Phone line and connecting the internet directly, but still the same problem exists.

ut300r2

Add to book marks.
Try the Flash mode.
Screenshots given.

Find the page where these data are. available.
SNR or snr margin Download upload or downstream and upstream
Attn same as above.
Probably your phone line needs check up by BSNL>
How far you are from the Exchange ?

The BSNL cable first comes to my Hall and then to the another room.The SNR and Attenuation values in the Hall areLocal Line Atten.: 0 dBRemote Line Atten.: 0.5 dBLocal SNR Margin: 30.0 dBRemote SNR Margin: 22.0 dBThe SNR and Attenuation values in the other Room areLocal Line Atten.: 2.5 dBRemote Line Atten.: 1.5 dBLocal SNR Margin: 20.0 dBRemote SNR Margin: 18.5 dBI will replace the wire from hall to the other room and see if this could resolve the problem.

1.SNR/Attn in either place acceptable for a stable connection.2.Ensure No parallel phones BEFORE the adsl splitter in either room.3.If needed use ADDITIONAL ADSL splitter in each phone connection.4. The drop in SNR : use good old BSNL copper wire ( single strand/ pair )( The feeder line for TV from Old Antenna can be used.) 5.Also see whether the Mod mode selected is adsl2 +Disable it and try GDMT/t413/glite bitswap enabled.Feedback please.

The BROADBAND and the phone are connected through a splitter. The Modem is on GDMT mode. I will change the wire and let you know if that helps.Well...Thanks a lot for your help essbebe. Your suggestions helped me in resolving the problem without contacting BSNL guys.