BSNL Fiber Net IP wrongly shows my location as Hyderabad , Telangana

remo_phd9

ISP
BSNL COMBO ULD 1350
Dear Broadband forum members,

This to to bring your kind notice that I am using BSNL Fiber net. As per my internet service provider my IP shows my location as Hyderabad, Telangana. My location always is Kavali , S.P.S.R . Nellore district , Andhra Pradesh. I am high stakes poker player in Pokerstars.in during the lock down period I spent more hours and earned some money. From five days onwards BSNL fiber net IP shows my location as Hydrabad , Telangana. As playing poker in Telangana is prohibited I cannot play in Pokerstars.in nor I can withdraw money. The pokerstars customer suuport team consficated my funds saying that I played with VPN software. Here my problem is BSNL fiber net shoud show the IP with correct location as in Andhra Pradesh. I tried Static,DHCP and PPPoE. None of them were not worked.BSNL customer team cannot solve my problem. I humbly request forum members to help me.

Regards,
Dr.Siva

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.webp
    Screenshot_1.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
for me currently it showing ambala, haryana

dont know after lockdown fully over i will switch isp bsnl sucks in serving customers propely currently they downgrades speed of plan to decrease load of server but its not fair because we r paying for it, not got free from bsnl

What you told is 100 % correct sir. My plan is 30MB speed but it is very slow up to 1 mb speed. Customer support is very bad. I too thinking chaning net work provider.

in next month airtel broadband is coming to my area if its good i will switch to airtel then

The problem you're facing is a common issue due to the usage of certain products referred as GeoIP databases. (i.e database mapping of IP address to a geographical location) by websites/applications. These are hardly correct and contain many false positives.

The most popular of them is Maxmind GeoIP which most websites/applications on the Internet use & then allow/block access.

You can check your IP address on their demo page and see for yourself.

The problem you're facing is a common issue due to the usage of certain products referred as GeoIP databases. (i.e database mapping of IP address to a geographical location) by websites/applications. These are hardly correct and contain many false positives.

The most popular of them is Maxmind GeoIP which most websites/applications on the Internet use & then allow/block access.

You can check your IP address on their demo page and see for yourself.

Thank you so much for your reply sir. Unfortunately the above link shows same address. What you told is also correct. There are false positives in GeoIP database.

Attachments

• Screenshot.webp
    Screenshot.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 274
I suspect something fishy on the poker's company part or untrained cc guys, if money transaction is involved(which includes TDS deduction), you can prove your residence through electoral voter id to the poker company.
Otherwise you have no avenue to rescue except legal channels.
Preferably you have to ask your lawyer to make them support their VPN claim by proving IP address block ownership to some vpn provider, this might make them budge.

For for future purpose rent a static ip(3000 inr/yr) with correct geo location info for games like this, beware that this might hamper your privacy

there should be better ways to confirm a user's location. just ask the user to share live location using google maps. sure it can be faked. but not everyone would be able to do it.

I suspect something fishy on the poker's company part or untrained cc guys, if money transaction is involved(which includes TDS deduction), you can prove your residence through electoral voter id to the poker company.
Otherwise you have no avenue to rescue except legal channels.
Preferably you have to ask your lawyer to make them support their VPN claim by proving IP address block ownership to some vpn provider, this might make them budge.

For for future purpose rent a static ip(3000 inr/yr) with correct geo location info for games like this, beware that this might hamper your privacy
Thank you so much for your reply sir / madam. Previously I played in Pokerstars since 2007 and Pokerstars.in since inception in India from 2018. Upto to now I have no prooblem in depositing and withdrawing funds. I deposited up to 20k a month and with drawn more than 30k after deducting TDS several times. Resently I won a tournament worth of 30k with buying 5k. I observed chaging my ip and location, sometimes it shows as in Banglore , Chennai , Hyderabd etc. Unfortunately Pokerstars blaming me that I am playing in different prohibited areas using VPN. I have trust in Pokerstars. Though my IP is set to Static it shows different IPs and locations for a certain period. Due to lockdown BSNL customer care representative do not respond to me though I used all communication channels.

Last edited:
there should be better ways to confirm a user's location. just ask the user to share live location using google maps. sure it can be faked. but not everyone would be able to do it.
Thank you so much for your reply sir.Unfortunately I cannot prove with Google maps. Pokerstars software automatically detects it.

As far my knowledge IP range allotted by IANA to ISP for pan india usage not state wise in india. Each service provider uses IP as per their choice any where in india. So claiming VPN usage inside india looks fishy. You can prove your residence by govt approved Aadhar kind location proof. They cant legally deny it.