Bsnl download and uploading data problem. Serious

• Thread starter Thread starter vkkkr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 3,970

vkkkr

ISP
I am using bsnl brodband for past 8 months and has a very serious problem with my bandwidth data usage. i have a great interest in downloading and searching music.i systematically use my data usage limit by often checking data usage on bsnl website. i analysed that for 1 GB total data usage per month, the share for UPLOADING is around 300 MB, while i NEVER uploads anything on the net, but use it only for downloading purposes. even i don't watch any video file on it, but still the problem exists. thus i have a BIG LOSS on downloading songs and for other works.please help me how to stop AUTOMATIC uploading on the net so that i can use it more efficiently.thanks:huh::huh::huh:

How do u download music??? Limewire, torrent etc....

I am using bsnl brodband for past 8 months and has a very serious problem with my bandwidth data usage. i have a great interest in downloading and searching music.

i systematically use my data usage limit by often checking data usage on bsnl website. i analysed that for 1 GB total data usage per month, the share for UPLOADING is around 300 MB, while i NEVER uploads anything on the net, but use it only for downloading purposes. even i don't watch any video file on it, but still the problem exists. thus i have a BIG LOSS on downloading songs and for other works.

please help me how to stop AUTOMATIC uploading on the net so that i can use it more efficiently.
thanks
:huh::huh::huh:

How do u download music??? Limewire, torrent etc....

This is not relevent. It relates to the fundamentals of computer networking.

The problem is that whenever you download something from anywhere on the net, your computer sends an acknowledgement back to the host from which it downloads, telling it "I've received the data and it's not corrupt, please send more", and so the host will continue to send more data.

If this isn't happen, you'd get huge problems on networks - some guy is downloading a file and his computer gets disconnected... the host will send only a few KB of data until it stops receiving acknowledgements, otherwise if this didn't take place, it would continue to try sending data until it sent the entire file. But where would this data end up? Stuck, somewhere, clogging up some system which would be continually retrying to send the data, and eventually the network would grind to a halt and the internet would have died years ago.

As such, this upload usually constitutes about 25-30% of your usage. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. This behaviour is perfectly normal, but perhaps ISPs should look at a change in policy. As it happens, I feel this is a ripoff when ISPs that include upload data in your "1GB transfer allowance" so you only "get" about 700-750MB of the 1GB you thought you should get... and they make an extra Rs150 on the 300MB in overuse charges.

This is not relevent. It relates to the fundamentals of computer networking.

The problem is that whenever you download something from anywhere on the net, your computer sends an acknowledgement back to the host from which it downloads, telling it "I've received the data and it's not corrupt, please send more", and so the host will continue to send more data.

If this isn't happen, you'd get huge problems on networks - some guy is downloading a file and his computer gets disconnected... the host will send only a few KB of data until it stops receiving acknowledgements, otherwise if this didn't take place, it would continue to try sending data until it sent the entire file. But where would this data end up? Stuck, somewhere, clogging up some system which would be continually retrying to send the data, and eventually the network would grind to a halt and the internet would have died years ago.

As such, this upload usually constitutes about 25-30% of your usage. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. This behaviour is perfectly normal, but perhaps ISPs should look at a change in policy. As it happens, I feel this is a ripoff when ISPs that include upload data in your "1GB transfer allowance" so you only "get" about 700-750MB of the 1GB you thought you should get... and they make an extra Rs150 on the 300MB in overuse charges.

Dude!! You are absolutely correct in the above part. But do u think that for 1GB data he downloaded, his computer sends acknowledgement of 300MB??? Acknowledgement packets are very tiny in size.

I was asking him whether he is downloading content via P2P like torrents etc because e.g. in torrents whenever u download stuffs, someone else may be downloading the completed portions of your downloaded files, which results in upload. Thats the way torrents work, a fair sharing policy. We can however limit the upload speed, but cannot completely stop it.

Thats the reason may be he's getting uploads of 300MB for a download of 1 GB.

Normally, there will be some amount of upload data even when we just download. If suspect any malware infection. Use a good firewall like Zonealarm or Comodo. Install Networx and monitor if there is any upload going on in the background when the system is idle. I prefer Bitmeter to identify the background activity. If you are using it, don't care for the data it shows. The amount of bandwidth shown in bitmeter is not reliable. But you can use it for checking the background activity and speed.

Networx screen shot

Dude!! You are absolutely correct in the above part. But do u think that for 1GB data he downloaded, his computer sends acknowledgement of 300MB??? Acknowledgement packets are very tiny in size.

I was asking him whether he is downloading content via P2P like torrents etc because e.g. in torrents whenever u download stuffs, someone else may be downloading the completed portions of your downloaded files, which results in upload. Thats the way torrents work, a fair sharing policy. We can however limit the upload speed, but cannot completely stop it.

Thats the reason may be he's getting uploads of 300MB for a download of 1 GB.

If he's using any IM software, it'll be constantly pinging the net, software updates etc... It's entirely possible that some uploads are happening if he's downloading from some filesharing network.

Even without that you'd still be surprised at how much of the traffic can contribute to just being ACK packets, even while downloading from HTTP. Probably not 300MB but a reasonable majority of that.