Bsnl Dataone Boradband Initial Connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter pslak1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,595

pslak1

ISP
BSNL
Hi Friends,I am in US and I asked my parents to signup for broadband through BSNL. A guy from BSNL came and installed the modem. He left a CD with my parents and connected the modem to phone line and PC. My parents don't know much about computers so they can't do much of investigation. However, they are not getting connected. What I want to know from you wonderful guys are:What's the initial procedure for BSNL broadband connection? Do they first install modem and take few days to provision it?Do You have to do anything to get it provisioned or the guy who is installing should take care of it and show you that your browser can go to internet?What should one get when you get the new connection with modem from BSNL? My parents have got Modem, CD, splitter, Cable to connect modem to phone line, one ethernet cable. CD contains only the user manual.My parents requested for 4 ethernet port cable modem but BSNL has given only one port cable modem and the guy who came to connect it said that this is the only modem they provide. Is it true ?Please help me to understand the procedure of this whole new connection so that I can get my parents connected to internet. Thanks a lot Cheers!

QUOTE(pslak1 @ Jul 4 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]55054[/snapback]
What's the initial procedure for BSNL broadband connection? Do they first install modem and take few days to provision it?
[/b]

In my case i got connected when the modem was installed

Do You have to do anything to get it provisioned or the guy who is installing should take care of it and show you that your browser can go to internet?
[/b]

No. He sud do everything

What should one get when you get the new connection with modem from BSNL? My parents have got Modem, CD, splitter, Cable to connect modem to phone line, one ethernet cable. CD contains only the user manual.
[/b]

Yes. tats about it

My parents requested for 4 ethernet port cable modem but BSNL has given only one port cable modem and the guy who came to connect it said that this is the only modem they provide. Is it true ?
[/b]

Yes and No..BSNL provides four types of modem.....but the 4port modem is out of stock most of the time

QUOTE(avinds @ Jul 4 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]55061[/snapback]
In my case i got connected when the modem was installed
No. He sud do everything
Yes. tats about it
Yes and No..BSNL provides four types of modem.....but the 4port modem is out of stock most of the time
[/b]
Thanks a lot for Quick response!

Since the guy who installed modem didn't set up the whole thing correctly Do you have any help line number which my parents can call to get things straightend out ? Do they have any toll free number ?

Does the one port modem has DHCP server in built? I am asking it so that Layer 2 switch can be used to get multiple ethernet port.

I have read that you have to provide username and password to authenticate modem. Do you need some application installed in your PC to do it or can it be configured in Modem so it takes care of it by itself?

Since my parents don't know much about the PC and networking I want to get their setup as simple as possible.

One again thanks a lot for providing me all the help!

Toll free number for BSNL customer care is 1800-424-1600(previously 1600-424-1600 .but now it has been changed).The guy who installs the modem should do everything and show that internet explorer can open a page and test the speed of connection thro' some speed checking website.This is what done by them in my home.But there were lot of difficulties in getting the connection.The telephone cable from the post was not good enough . so they changed it after 2 days and then it was fine.You can ask for configuration file from someone here who has the same modem as that of yours.Then use the config file to setup and change username password to get online.In my case i use a D-Link modem sold seperately. 🙂

Hi der,

QUOTE(pslak1 @ Jul 5 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]55070[/snapback]

Since the guy who installed modem didn't set up the whole thing correctly Do you have any help line number which my parents can call to get things straightend out ? Do they have any toll free number ?

[/b]

Yes dey do hav a help-line number "Toll free number for BSNL customer care is 1800-424-1600 " .... i can help u further if u cud tell me at which place in india, ur folks r residing? Mayb perhaps i cud ask my fellow friends in those place n cud send u da local BSNL exchange tel. no.

n also those BSNL technicans r useless. Dey dont kno nythin abt this network n dey cudnt pinpoint da source of errors on y da modem cudnt establish connection wid da server. Actually v sud stay der n c wat he is doin n u sud c dat all r workin at dat tym itself n u sud also test if all r working fine by urself den only allow da guy to exit ur premises..... dats wat i had to do at my place in kerela..... all r lazy bums n r not active at all... but wat can v do, dey r govt employess n u kno how da ppl r who works der.... lol.... Otherwise in case of a trouble n aft reportin also, dey wont come immediately but only aft a day or 2..... dats how it happens in my place.... lol

Does the one port modem has DHCP server in built? I am asking it so that Layer 2 switch can be used to get multiple ethernet port.

[/b]

Wel yes and no depending on da one port adsl modem u hav.

I have read that you have to provide username and password to authenticate modem. Do you need some application installed in your PC to do it or can it be configured in Modem so it takes care of it by itself?

[/b]

Yes, of course u hav to provide da username u hav submitted at tym of ur BSNL dataone connection request. n yea it has to b configured in ur adsl modem. n No u dont need ny application of sort in order to confugure ur adsl modem. U can jus get into ur DSL router's configuration panel jus by typin this most common IP address in ur browser address bar.

Most Common DSL Router's IP address(es) : 192.168.1.1[dis works for most one port modem] or 192.168.0.1[dis works for most 4-port wireless router adsl modem] or 192.168.1.0[for da rest of 4-port normal USB or jus LAN mode modem]

Da user name wud b "admin" and da password wud b "password" in most cases if not try putin da password as "admin" itself

I hope these little subtle help guide n info helps ya da most..... in case of ny confusion, do hit me bak at my email id or in this thread better

Take care n Gud Day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help guys! YOu are wonderful!

Finally I got it connected. A new person came from BSNL to complete the installation after numerous complaints. He gave username and password for the connection. After this somehow they swapped my telephone line with some other telephone number and I wasn't able to connect. I came to know about it only after 3 days when somebody came and told that you are not answering the phone. Since I was getting the dial tone, I didn't know that there is any problem with my phone. Then I called my mobile number and saw that it's getting some other called-id. Finally I complained it 4-5 times and they connected my line after 2 days.
Everything worked fine after that. However, the modem was configured in bridge mode and I wanted it to be in PPPoE mode so I remotely login to my parents machine and configured the modem to send the username and password. I also enabled the DHCP server on it. Now it’s all configured and my parents have to power on the computer and they are connected.

I was having few question:

Are there any disadvantages of using modem in PPPoE mode than using it as bridged?

If I connect L2 switch (as modem has only one ethernet port), will modem provide the IP address to all the devices connected to L2 switch?

I have been provided DareGlobal DB108 modem. Does this modem implements NAT?

I was looking forward to connect VOIP phone. Do you guys have any idea that how much bandwidth it takes in ideal condition and when it is in call?

Thanks a lot and I really apprecitae your help! 🙂

QUOTE(Nizar ~ ahmd @ Jul 5 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]55132[/snapback]
Hi der,
Yes dey do hav a help-line number "Toll free number for BSNL customer care is 1800-424-1600 " .... i can help u further if u cud tell me at which place in india, ur folks r residing? Mayb perhaps i cud ask my fellow friends in those place n cud send u da local BSNL exchange tel. no.

n also those BSNL technicans r useless. Dey dont kno nythin abt this network n dey cudnt pinpoint da source of errors on y da modem cudnt establish connection wid da server. Actually v sud stay der n c wat he is doin n u sud c dat all r workin at dat tym itself n u sud also test if all r working fine by urself den only allow da guy to exit ur premises..... dats wat i had to do at my place in kerela..... all r lazy bums n r not active at all... but wat can v do, dey r govt employess n u kno how da ppl r who works der.... lol.... Otherwise in case of a trouble n aft reportin also, dey wont come immediately but only aft a day or 2..... dats how it happens in my place.... lol

Wel yes and no depending on da one port adsl modem u hav.

Yes, of course u hav to provide da username u hav submitted at tym of ur BSNL dataone connection request. n yea it has to b configured in ur adsl modem. n No u dont need ny application of sort in order to confugure ur adsl modem. U can jus get into ur DSL router's configuration panel jus by typin this most common IP address in ur browser address bar.

Most Common DSL Router's IP address(es) : 192.168.1.1[dis works for most one port modem] or 192.168.0.1[dis works for most 4-port wireless router adsl modem] or 192.168.1.0[for da rest of 4-port normal USB or jus LAN mode modem]

Da user name wud b "admin" and da password wud b "password" in most cases if not try putin da password as "admin" itself

I hope these little subtle help guide n info helps ya da most..... in case of ny confusion, do hit me bak at my email id or in this thread better

Take care n Gud Day!

[/b]

QUOTE(pslak1 @ Jul 11 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]55575[/snapback]

Are there any disadvantages of using modem in PPPoE mode than using it as bridged?
[/b]

hmmm i dont tink der wud b ny disadvantage in that case..... try it urself n let me kno da outcome

If I connect L2 switch (as modem has only one ethernet port), will modem provide the IP address to all the devices connected to L2 switch?
[/b]

no... da modem wil not n cannot assign or provide IP address to oder devices connected to da L2 switch..... in fact wateva IP address is assigned on da modem wil b shared by oder devices connected to da L2 switch..... n also bear in mind dat ur 256 kbps bandwidth wil b shared wid oder devices ..... for eg. a lappy n desktop pc is sharing da same 256kbps connection usin da switch.... so da bandwidth available to 2 systems wud b 128 kbps each respectively....

I have been provided DareGlobal DB108 modem. Does this modem implements NAT?
[/b]

It does...... am sure if am not mistaken... hav to cek my own modem as i got da very same modem model as u hav...... 😛

I was looking forward to connect VOIP phone. Do you guys have any idea that how much bandwidth it takes in ideal condition and when it is in call?
[/b]

hmmm not really sure how much it takes..... as i hav neva tried myself personally.... but wil ask arnd wid oder ppl who hav used such service..... n wil let ya kno......

Thanks a lot and I really apprecitae your help! 🙂
[/b]

yep! u r most welcome...... 😀

Gud day!

I have the same modem. Can you give me the Entire settings that you have done?I also want full procedure of setting always ON coneection something using PPPoE.Please provide me the All settings for all type of connection

^ which modem you have ? perhaps the following link

^ [off topic] he searched before posting and found a relevant thread to post . I do not see any problem ...