BSNL Broadband's new revolutionary (lol) broadband plans with minimum 2mbps speeds (lol)

12 crore customers of BSNL all over India has something to cheer for, finally. In a move which can redefine the very definition of broadband, BSNL will now guarantee minimum of 2Mbps speed for every plan which mentions broadband Internet.

However, 2Mbps speed can only be accessed pre-FUP (Fair Usage Policy) data consumption. Once the FUP limits are crossed, then the speed would drop down to 512 Kbps. This new plan would be effective October 1, 2015, pan India.

http://trak.in/tags/business/2015/09/05/bsnl-redefines-broadband-internet-speed-india-2mbps/

i thought airtel already redefined broadband internet in the country 😀

in any case, if modi government had not showed their true colors... 2mbps would have been a bare minimum on all ISPs.

i might be wrong but i am guessing redefining term might have been used by the fuckers at telecom talk blog which is the source of the trakt story.

Now i guess, MTNL will also raise minimum speed to 2 Mbps soon.

Does that mean 1 Mbps 999 UL plan will be 2 Mbps 999 UL plan?

airtel is offering 16mbps on all their plans. everyone is realizing that speed does not matter. the faster the connection is, the more bandwidth is likely to be consumed. forcing the user to upgrade to a higher speed plan.
this means that purely unlimited plans like from reliance would remain on slow speeds. i mean i would love to get a 8mbps plan at even double the costing of my current 4mbps ul plan.

A 4 Mbps plan without FUP is better than 16 Mbps plan with FUP (as much as 100 GB). That is if you're heavy downloader.

Also the internet market is pretty bad in India. 8/16 Mbps Broadband plans must have 2 Mbps as speed beyond FUP. BSNL is even giving 256 Kbps speed beyond FUP.

Any major ISP (BSNL, Airtel, MTNL etc) changing the post FUP speed will be the redefining thing for me. Even revising post FUP speed to 1 Mbps speed will be a good step.

only for mtnl mumbai, we delhihites suffer same 5year old 512 post fup speeds

this is confusing.

trak and trashcomtalk says, "2mbps pre fup" and the official tweet says, the minimum Broadband speed will increase from 512kbps to 2mbps .?

can anyone confirm? which one is true?

if the minimum speed is 2mbps, how can they downgrade to 512kbps?

Basically they are stopping all plans less than 2 mbps and giving the least speed plan as 2 mbps but post fup speed will remain 512 kbps unfortunately. Or 256kbps in my case.