BSNL Broadband Without Landline?

arijitmitter

ISP
BSNL DataOne
I am on BB Combo UL 675.

Can one keep only broadband and not the landline? Such as change to UL 545 (same broadband plan) and let go the phone.

Last edited:
Since your connection is via land line you will need the physical connection at home. As of now, you can skip land line bills only by opting combo plans. That is my understanding.

Since your connection is via land line you will need the physical connection at home. As of now, you can skip land line bills only by opting combo plans. That is my understanding.

There will of course be copper wire to home but can I opt out of landline scheme and enjoy only BB? I never use BSNL LL and I am paying Rs 150 a month for nothing. Can one opt for UL 545 but no LL?

I want to get rid of both BB and LL but want to keep the BB till Jio is launched. BSNL BB is not working well with disconnection and line noise. They gave me a brilliant advice -- due to line noise connect the wire to your modem without running it through the splitter !! In other words pay us for the phone but tuck it away in the cupboard.

I think I will write two disconnection letters -- one for only LL, one for BB + LL and test out my luck at BSNL office.

Unlike the reply I received on another thread it seems in Calcutta they do not accept BB disconnection without making one run 3 times. Let me try it out. Will post results here.

Last edited:
you can not have broadband without landline but you can avoid paying that 150 by choosing combo plans, for eg. instead of UL 545, choose Combo UL 675

Right. For individual broadband plans (all non combo ones) you need to be on a separate landline plan. The best bet as mentioned here is to get a Combo plan.

Yes sir they are. The OP want to know whether we can opt for just a broadband plan. And the plan he mentioned (UL 545) is a non-combo one so he need to be on a separate landline plan in order to subscribe to it.

Procedure to surrender BSNL phone line and/or broadband.

1 ) First visit Commercial Officer of your exchange. He will give you a Disconnection Form (self written application will not do). Fill up the form (attach a Voter ID xerox) with basic information - name, phone number, reason for leaving BSNL etc. The Commercial Officer will give you a Disconnection Slip. He will ask you to visit AOTR of your area (they have zone based designations AOTR I, II, III). AOTR of your area will brief you on what to bring (read step 3 about 6 attachments).
Note -- Commercial Officer and AOTR are usually in same building.

2 ) With the Disconnection Slip obtained visit SDE Ext for your zone exchange to surrender customer premise equipment (in my case there was a provision to visit only on Mon, Wed, Fri 3 - 4 PM; I do not know if this applies to other cities). You should avoid visiting the SDE on same day. The details of the Disconnection Slip needs to be uploaded and rarely reflects on same day. Surrender the landline, telephone jack surface mount box, RJ 11 cable, modem, ADSL splitter, RJ 45 cable (like me you may or may not have rented the latter 3; if you did not rent then no need to bother about the latter 3). You will get a Surrender Receipt detailing what you returned. Read it carefully. For anything missing they will subtract from deposit.
Note -- The SDE who receives the phone set may or may not be in same building as Commercial Officer and AOTR. In my case they were situated one mile apart and caused me to run here to there and back because I was determined to complete it in one working day. Others may be luckier in that CO and SDE maybe situated in same building for their exchange.

3 ) Revisit the AOTR and submit to him an application (typed or handwritten) asking for refund in following proforma and attach 1 - 6 given below.

To,
The Commercial officer, BSNL
XXXX Telephone Exchange,
Pincode

Date: XX-XX-XXXX

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: refund of deposit amount phone number XXXX XXXX

I have surrendered my connection for landline and broadband XXXX XXXX. Attached please find copy of --

1. Disconnection Slip (may or may not be original)
  2. Surrender Receipt (original)
  3. Money Receipt (original) -- This is the first amount you ever paid to BSNL -- before the first bill was raised. If you do not have it you have to provide a bond on Rs 10 non-judicial stamp paper. The proforma for this bond is with BSNL AOTRs. You need to type it on stamp paper and have it notarized.
  4. Voter ID copy (self attested) (this is another copy not the one used in 1).
  5. Cancelled cheque
  6. Copy of online receipt for last bill raised or Copy of last bill received (if paid at cash counter)

I request you to issue the closure proceeds, if any, through transfer to my bank account or by cheque to my home address.

Bank Name: XXXX
Bank Address: XXXX
Account No: XXXX
Account Type: Savings/Current
MICR Code: XXXX
IFSC Code: XXXX

Thanking You,
Yours Sincerely,

XXXX

123, XYZ Avenue
Pincode
Mobile Phone Number: XXXXX XXXXX

4 ) The AOTR will stamp a copy of the above letter as Received. Refund will be after few months.

Reason for this lengthy post is there is no clear direction on the internet of how exactly to surrender BSNL landline or broadband. One needs 3 clearances in all and has to attach 7 pieces of paper.

In past I have surrendered post paid Airtel connection once and Vodafone twice. All three times it was a silky smooth process requiring a single visit to the customer care center. Both Airtel and Vodafone refunded to me the deposit in less than a month and none of them required a bond on non-judicial stamp paper if I had lost my original money receipt (honestly who has kept the first application money receipt from 2007 or 1997 or probably 1957!!). Why on earth do I need my original money receipt?

This process (steps 1 to 4) took me continuous work from 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM today. If broken into multiple days it will take at 3 visits - which is really impossible for most working people.

Last edited:
Regarding my opening post -- BSNL does not allow subscribers to keep only BB and not LL.

I have not compared with Airtel but in Combo 675 plan (actual outgo is Rs 775 with tax) I was paying Rs 150 for a landline I never used since calls to other networks are charged at Rs 1.15 incl tax and I do not know anyone on BSNL network (they do have that 9 PM - 7 AM free calling plan but I do not need to call anyone after 9 PM).

The old 2 Mbps night free had real use. One could download a lot. But at 512 kbps a normal webpage takes at least 4 seconds to open. If I am going for a plan that costs Rs 900 or more I will go for Airtel or some sort of private sector ISP.

what you asking is called naked dsl. no such thing in bsnl or even airtel. only reliance offers it.

BSNL has made their plans in such a way that the user has to pay minimum 700 pm, with or without landline.
If you opt for the 550 BB plan then monthly rental is applicable.
If combo plan, the rental is already "factored" in the price, either way they get you for the same amount. 😛

I think you can keep 550 bb plan without paying rental, u can ask BSNL that you will not need it and activate as zero rental, I am not sure if this works in copper wire but one my friend have FTTH and he is not paying for landline as his plan showing Landline facility and free calling and rest as per landline plan so he didn't adopt landline and paying for BB only, maybe you can try this as well with BSNL, otherwise if you have FTTH in your area switch to that 🙂

Writing a final post to wrap stuff up.

I was not sure my BSNL line had been disconnected (if billing had stopped) but I see that my number has disappeared from the older selfcare portal from April 1. So I am officially off BSNL's books 😛arty:.

I find my joining date here as Dec 27 2007 .. that was when BSNL gave me Dataone connection and but did not help me set up the modem. I probably needed to log in here to find help.

All of you have been great friends. I will be visiting the forum but not be a part of BSNL discussions anymore.

A great weight has been lifted off my shoulders by no longer being a BSNL customer. I will no longer have to worry about Rs 9,000 error bills and run to AOTR for rectification (and miss work for 2 days) or run after inept linemen or plead with people in some place called "DE External office" !!!

At the moment I am using Wishnet (a LAN based ISP in Calcutta; along with Alliance, Wishnet has made great strides in recent years). I have had Wishnet as standby connection for many years. I am waiting for RJio launch. If in meantime Wishnet fails will take a Airtel broadband connection. But till now for last 9 years my cable guy has given great service in providing me with broadband.

For Rs 650 (incl tax) Wishnet is giving me 2 Mbps (12 AM - 12 PM), 1 Mbps (12 PM - 12 AM), 6 Mbps peering speed (quite wasted on me since I do not download anything), no FUP. Alliance is slightly cheaper but it is best to stick with cable wallahs one knows.

Thanks to all of you 🙂

Last edited: