• Thread starter Thread starter Abhishek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,271

Abhishek

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I took a screenshot of the traceroute done. Can anyone please explain me the meaning of this? Specifically why should it take a lot of time to open up a web site?

Screenshot.png

To my understanding this is the load on the local server and their bandwidth is restricted. Is this true? Because I have already filed a complaint regarding this issue and tomorrow I am going to file the RTI and ask them to explain me the meaning of this.

Thanks in advance.

I am pissed off from BSNL but I am going to do something about it.

its not entirely BSNL, it can be some firewall/protection at yahoo servers which prevents pings from flooding their servers.have seens many giant providers reject the ping request, however their sites run fine to normal users.If yahoo is accessible from your end when using this connection, you are wasting your time in all this complaint and RTI stuff.you don't have to blame your ISP if the destination server is running some kinda protection.

This is just one of the web sites. I have tried with others and it shows the same type of "latency". Why then the speeds or the web sites are inaccessible most of the times? This is what I am trying to understand. Even though the download speeds may be 'okay" but the websites (majority of them) hosted outside India are very "slow" to access. I have checked it on SpeedTest also which also shows routinely the ping times as high as 1500 ms. Is this the reason why I am suffering poor quality of access?

BSNL does sometimes have DNS issues in small town's
best way out is to use opendns in your DNS settings this will certainly improve your connection security and speed.
check opendns website on how to use it, its a 1 min. job to configure it.

Edit: i use open DNS since a year + and my ping times have improved many folds as compared to BSNL DNS.
FYI
http://www.pingtest.net

I did that. I changed over to Open DNS (I am on Linux Mint) and it is very simple to do it.

It happens during the day times; in the night time these issues vanish. I was also told that my phone line had some issue from the exchange which has then been sorted out (after shouting at them and repeated complaints).

Anyway, the ping times that you have; I can only dream of them at present 🙁

https://www.speedtest.net\

http://www.pingtest.net

goto pingtest site.select a indian server, you have selected hongkong which will certainly show more ping times.If you landline has a humming soung, pick the phone, dial some incomplete number, during silence if you hear hummmmmm, you need to ask line man to allocate you anotherpair, mostly during rains, water gets inside underground cables and with such earthing and interference, you loose the speed on connectivity.in my case i had to get pair changed thrice still speed was issue, then they took out branch DP in front of my house after digging very deep and speed came back to 2mbps once this much pain was taken by the working lineman and his cable team.its hard to tackle them, but if you do it in soft words things can be worked out, don't annoy them, if you have line problem, give a tea/coffee snacks to your lineman 🙂

To my understanding, since most of the web sites are located outside India, it is more prudent to check the usage for out side servers. For example ( I am attaching the screen shots here)
https://www.speedtest.net This is the server tested in India.

The speed drops incrementally when tested outside:
https://www.speedtest.net

But then this is part of the story. I need to access scientific journals which are hosted in US. This is frustrating from a user's perspective.

Is it also because that BSNL has faulty traffic routing as mentioned repeatedly across?

what BB plan you are on ?check the humming and cable issues.disconnect any more telephone instruments you have other than the one nearest to the modem/splitter.Else get your underground cable checked and ask them to put you on a newer pair.I don't work for BSNL but have had lot of problems, and have tasted every bit of things which can affect your speeds.at one point of time the broadband was not working while exchange guys only knew that link light is working so internet is working, had to visit GM to get this fixed and wasted many days.as i stay in a small town, there's no other 2Mbps option so had no choice than to keep following up with them.

I'd do the needful for sure. At the same time, I think you have been a great help. Thanks for your time. Cheers.

Sorry but I can't view your image; can you reupload on a standard dump website like imageshack or photobucket ?anyway pings for the last few days on bsnl have indeed been somewhat bad; It's usually 40ms higher than normal at best; and 150-200ms higher during certain times (7am-8am, 4:30pm-6pm, 9pm-10pm)It's not really a dns issue; something is really wrong with bsnl routing right nowas of 5:28pm sept 28th latency to west coast US is 530-550ms (normal is 280-295); if you do a traceroute you will see that routing is totally screwed up : kolkata -> delhi -> chennai -> singapore -> palo alto -> LA -> AT&T server network?????wtf is this garbageadditionally peering with AT&T is a mess.anyway right now I'm using airtel during the day (rs 599 connection) - average pings are higher (normal 350 instead of bsnl's best case of 280/290) but I'm not getting these insane spikes.

Exactly. I was facing the same issues with my connection since I have to "stick" on to the net for my work. I was wondering that it was the local exchange issue but as you mention, it is the same issue that I am facing.

I am sorry about the image but since the traffic is screwed up at present (as usual), I think I should be able to 'recapitulate" the same issue.
http://img819.imageshack.us/i/screenshotecc.png/

I hope this helps to put the things in perspective. Although in the early morning hours it is really worth it. I wonder why can't it maintain consistency?

Pings with Airtel never bothered me; partly because I was on 1 Mbps goodness and most of the web sites snapped up open; it's very few occasions I had to face any minor hindrances. I miss it for sure. At least, it was better than BSNL for God's sake.

try pinging 59.94.240.1 when u are getting high pings and post the result..let it send atleast 10 echo requests

try pinging 59.94.240.1 when u are getting high pings and post the result..let it send atleast 10 echo requests

This is the screen shot of the ping to the mentioned ip:
http://img841.imageshack.us/i/screenshotfmq.png/

I hope that this places something in perspective.

Thanks for your time!

^ this basically eliminates any local network/computer issue's..problem is upstream..probably with VSNL routers being overloaded..

VSNL sucks 🙂 But I have seen "some improvement" over the past few days though 🙂 Still, I am not happy as I was with Airtel. Morons of the first lot for sure.